My first re-tolex/restoration project!

thunderinrome

• Members

I recently bought a jcm900 and 1960a cab from a guy locally for a pretty good price becuase they were both cosmetically troubled. I took it apon myself to make both the head and the cab look like new. I finished the head tonight and will have the cab finished soon as soon as the new anti-skid trays and handles come in the mail. Below is a before and after of the head. The before picture doesnt show all the knicks on the sides of the cab and the leftover goo from tape that had been covering the logo for a couple years. All new tolex and hardware. The only original stuff left on it is the electronics, front plate and the wood cab itself. Everthing else has been replaces with genuine marshall parts. Not so sure how I feel about those knobs yet. Im gonna wait on a few opinions before I decide to keep them or return them :confused:. Opinions? Keep it classy or give it a custom feel?

Ill post pictures of the cab when its done!

enjoy!

beforeandafter_head.jpg

before and after

marshall_head2.jpg

head on

marshall_head.jpg

profile!

• Members

Wow, that's the first time? Looks real good! :thu: As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about doing a slant cab that I have. Since you did what looks like such a nice job, you've inspired me to do mine myself. Are there any spots of the tolex you don't like or wish you could redo?

BTW, I'm not a fan of the off white knobs and the white logo. I think it'd look better if they were the same shade. $.02

• Members

thanks for the comments!

The only thing that was harder and that I wish I had paid more attention to from the beginning was the way that marshall had cut the tolex at the corners from the factory. I didnt pay attention when I ripped it all off so every corner had a new technique untill I figured it out a few corners in, ha.

I agree with the knobs though, I didnt know that they were SO off white when I bought them. I can always throw a dash of white paint on them though if need be sometime down the road. but unless someone is inspecting the amp up close no one is going to notice for now, hopefully.

just wait till I post the pictures from the before and after on the cab, its amazing!!

• Members

oh yea and a fair warning.... unless someone can say otherwise.....

I had to cut and rip off all the hardware that was help in place by those screw tack things, then rip the tacks out, fill the holes with wood filler then redrill the holes. So I had to buy all new hardware, which was originally unplanned. Please correct me if there is a way around breaking the corners off (which I wish I could have known if so). Otherwise, I just wanted to make sure you know youll probably have to buy new corners if you plan on retolexing. :confused: but hey, it only makes it look even better!

Archived