Beefing up the Jet City 50?

Gwimlock

• Members

Hey everyone,

I've been using the JCA 50 as my main amp for the last nine months or so, and am looking to beef it up some. I've read various threads on HC regarding mods for various JCA amps, but was hoping to find some feedback on the 50 watt head in specific. I'm looking to wrangle in the high-end somewhat, and have read that tube replacements are a big help. If so, what are your favorite tube combinations?

I've also been talking to my tech now about getting the Depth mod done, and have talked in private to some helpful members about it. That said, is the Depth mod worth it?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Members

Yeah, I'm looking to retube with JJ KT66's. Not sure about the pre-amp tubes yet, but I figured you all would have better ideas on that. ;)

O'Rourke did some additional work on mine (depth mod, switchable boost...). Sounds darn good for the price. I have JJ KT66's in mine and mostly Mullard pre's. All Chinese pre's sound a bit too harsh in the amp IMO.

• Members

Good to know about the Depth Mod. Guitarbilly put me in touch with Dr. Olaf, and I've gotten hold of the Depth mod schematics. Now it's just finding the courage to give up the amp for servicing, ha ha.

Would you mind sharing what you have for Depth Mod schematics? I'd really like to do that to my JCA50H, too - I've seen comments about it not being a huge thing to do, but I don't have specifics that apply directly to my head.

Let me know if you need the JCA50H schematics - I do have those...

Thanks!

• Members

I've been trying to score a deal on a 100 or 50 h so i can start another mod thread. The depth mod is done in the same way that it is done on the 20h.

Good to hear, Edge, but I'd sure feel more comfortable seeing it done by an expert (like yourself) on the actual head first, before I start tinkering. I'm most anxious for you to get that thread started. What kind of deal are you looking for? I was able to get my JCA50H from AMS for $435 back in July...

• Members

Good to hear, Edge, but I'd sure feel more comfortable seeing it done by an expert (like yourself) on the actual head first, before I start tinkering. I'm most anxious for you to get that thread started. What kind of deal are you looking for? I was able to get my JCA50H from AMS for $435 back in July...

I have something in the works. Hopefully I'll have one sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I just installed a brand new set of JJs (ECC83S) in the preamp section, and I cannot believe the immediate effects on the tone. That searing, fatiguing high-end is gone, and the overall tonal spectrum seems to have broadened. Definitely a darker, more robust tone. I'll have more to say about the switch after spending more time plugged in. Sadly, it's pretty late here and the neighbors are forgiving, but not that forgiving.

Archived