Tell what Impedance my 4x12 cab is wired at...

xmorgan socialx

• Members

I just acquired a 1980 50 watt JMP with a matching cab. I saw pictures of the insides before getting the cab, and it has G12-65's in it... but when I got the cab I noticed that the backplate says "100w" and 16ohms on it which means either, it had greenbacks in it and someone before me changed them out (bummer) or Marshall had just switched to the G12-65's and didn't change the wattage labeled on there badges.

I am pretty sure this is wired at 16 ohms in series parallel, but I am very retarded when it comes to this stuff. So here are some pictures, help me figure out how it is wired and what impedance I should run the head at.

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

• Members

the top two are in series with eachother = 30 ohms.

the bottom two are in series with eachother = 30 ohms

these two loads are in parallel with eachother at the input jac = (30+30)/4 = 15 total.

I think you knew the answer. I think you just wanted to show off the inside of that cab and those beautiful 65's. :idea::cop:

• Members

You can use a meter set it ohms, plug a speaker cable into the cab-jack, the other end of the cable put one meter probe on the cable jack tip, the other probe on the sleeve, a 16 ohm cab should read about 13.4 ohms or so.

Be careful not to touch the cable jack when taking a reading.

This method measure resistance.

Archived