Marshall JVM205H in da' house!! Short review...

doomsdaymachine

• Members

First off, I've been such a fool for so long, thinking I'd like anything other than a Marshall! I've owned (2) DSL50's, (1) DSL100, a JCM800 2205, and a TSL60, and they all served me well! The TSL60 was probably my least favorite. But, all in all, I've spent WAY too much money, time, & energy with all the other amps, and never found that "it" factor, that the Marshalls have, (for me).

Starting with the clean channel, I find the clean/green, suprisingly good. Marshalls have never been known for clean channels, but this one's the best I've heard, for a Marshall, and sounds quite nice, with chorus & reverb in the loop, ( I prefer my Hardwire RV-7 to the onboard digital reverb, but knew that going in). modes "orange", and "red", don't have near the gain I was expecting, and really haven't inspired me, (yet).

On to the overdrives - Green is, (to me), clean, with slight break-up, and not nearly as gainy as I would have liked, and just "o.k.", (for now). Onto the orange, THIS is where it's at!! It's fat, thick, and Marshall, all day long! I absolutely LOVE this channel! I boost it, (of course), with my Wylde OD, with gain about 10:00, and it's VERY pleasing. To me, it {censored}s on the 6505. It's just TONE, TONE, TONE!! LOVE IT! Red, has nearly as much gain as the 6505, (to my ears). WAY too much, and slightly more compressed. Lead tones are SICK with harmonics, and again, {censored}S on the 6505 for lead tones as well.

Tubes were JJ V1, Chinese V2 & V3, JJ V4 & PI. I've since tried a Tungsol in V1, and it sounded good, but grainy. After experimenting, I'm now with a JJ ECC803S in V1, JJ ECC83S in V2, V3, & V4, and a JJ ECC81 balanced, (12AT7), in the PI slot. It REALLY cleaned up the amp, and cut down on the compression a bit. It sounds HUGE. I ordered some EH 6CA7's for experimenting, and plan to check the bias on the EL34's that came stock, (supposedly SED's). They're probably cold, and may not even be matched - but we'll see..

I LOVE THIS AMP. It's like a pissed off DSL, with more gain, and it's tighter/cleaner. Matched with my 2x12 with new Swamp Thangs, the mids are smooth, and the bottom end is ferocious. I'M GONNA GO PLAY SOME MORE!

• Members

Congrats I absolutely love mine. Channel 2 orange is the business!

Yep. Dialed back a bit, it's classic rock to thrash, and kick in red, for over-the-top leads! The harmonics on the red channel are SICK. I didn't care for the red channel on the DSL, and always ran OD green with a boost and really dug it. But, both orange & red {censored} all over the DSL! More focused, and WAY more attitude!

• Members

Congrats man. I love my 210. Channel one "green" at 3pm and boosted is where it's at for me. So thick and juicy with just enough crunch for what I play.

Channel two gets over the top way quick. I never use anything past 10am on the gain knob. However, I could see why people would love this channel.

• Members

Congrats man. I love my 210. Channel one "green" at 3pm and boosted is where it's at for me. So thick and juicy with just enough crunch for what I play.

Channel two gets over the top way quick. I never use anything past 10am on the gain knob. However, I could see why people would love this channel.

Have you had any reliability issues with your 210H thus far?

• Members

Have you had any reliability issues with your 210H thus far?

Funny you ask. I've had it almost 3 years with no issues. Now I have two things happening:

1. Lowered Output. I have to turn it up louder. My thought is either it needs new tubes or has a loose solder (per the other JVM issues thread)

2. Twice now it's turned every light on every option all at once. I'm talking both channel lights, both master volumes, fx, etc... Volume cuts too. Pushing any button thoug fixes it.

Need to bring it in and get this checked. Other than that, no issues in 3 years and I didn't buy it new. Definitely would recommend and I'm sure the tubes are just getting tired by now after being used a few times a week.

• Members

Funny you ask. I've had it almost 3 years with no issues. Now I have two things happening:

1. Lowered Output. I have to turn it up louder. My thought is either it needs new tubes or has a loose solder (per the other JVM issues thread)

2. Twice now it's turned every light on every option all at once. I'm talking both channel lights, both master volumes, fx, etc... Volume cuts too. Pushing any button thoug fixes it.

Need to bring it in and get this checked. Other than that, no issues in 3 years and I didn't buy it new. Definitely would recommend and I'm sure the tubes are just getting tired by now after being used a few times a week.

Damn man.

• Members

On the JVM forum, I've read that there have been quite a few issues with the JVM series. V3 issues and loose solder connection issues. Got me kinda wary tbh.

When I was on the 700,000 tons of metal cruise, Gary Holt went through two of them in a matter of minutes and the stage tech was saying how much trouble they had had with them. That is what has kept me from buying one. That being said they were in the elements all day, but still, I personally witnessed 2 blow within 20 minutes. Hope the OP has better luck. I like the way they sound. The one I played was pretty noisy, does anyone else notice theirs being very hissy?

• Members

When I was on the 700,000 tons of metal cruise, Gary Holt went through two of them in a matter of minutes and the stage tech was saying how much trouble they had had with them. That is what has kept me from buying one. That being said they were in the elements all day, but still, I personally witnessed 2 blow within 20 minutes. Hope the OP has better luck. I like the way they sound. The one I played was pretty noisy, does anyone else notice theirs being very hissy?

I like the way the 210H sounds but from what I've read on the JVM forum, I'm thinking twice about getting one.

• Members

I like the way the 210H sounds but from what I've read on the JVM forum, I'm thinking twice about getting one.

Your missing out big time if you're going to worry about what a hand full of guys at the JVM forum have said about some problems they've had. I've been on that forum and really there are NOT that many complaints and the few that there are common things that might go wrong with any production amp.

My advice to anyone thinking about buying a JVM would be to go with the 4 channel if you can. I've owned both, I love my 410C. I enjoyed the 205C that I used for about 6 months, but the extra tones you get with the 4 chann is the ultimate!

• Members

Your missing out big time if you're going to worry about what a hand full of guys at the JVM forum have said about some problems they've had. I've been on that forum and really there are NOT that many complaints and the few that there are common things that might go wrong with any production amp.

My advice to anyone thinking about buying a JVM would be to go with the 4 channel if you can. I've owned both, I love my 410C. I enjoyed the 205C that I used for about 6 months, but the extra tones you get with the 4 chann is the ultimate!

Maybe you're right. If I do get one, it's gonna be the 210H. It has all the channels I need and will use.

• Members

Maybe you're right. If I do get one, it's gonna be the 210H. It has all the channels I need and will use.

If I could do it again I'd get the 4 channel. The 2 channel is enough for me, and I have a great tone I love, but it's missing an extra crunch channel that is awesome.

Price on the used market is only about $100-$200 difference.

• Members

If I could do it again I'd get the 4 channel. The 2 channel is enough for me, and I have a great tone I love, but it's missing an extra crunch channel that is awesome.

Price on the used market is only about $100-$200 difference.

It's gonna be a gift from the wife for X'mas and she specifically said new only. I also need it to operate on 230v.

• Members

Yep. People who encounter problems will be a lot more vocal on message boards. Also, a LOT of those problems are due to user error: "Oh, my board's nuked because my OT fried because I forgot to plug my speaker cable in ... Oh, I've got a ground loop in my pedal configuration that's causing the amp to scream like a banshee ... etc. etc. etc."

Personally, the only problems I've had are from power tubes taking a {censored}. My current quad seems to be a good set; they've been going strong for about 2 years now.

• Members

Fair enough. I just know I paid roughly 50% of a new one and it still had the hang tags on it. But I never buy amps new

Right about that. The 205C and the 410C which I bought used both had the original plastic settings chart still on them and the floor pedals were also in the plastic bag in the box never used. Both amps were "steals" and in dead mint condition. The 205C which I paid $600 had a problem with the power transformer but it only cost me $35 to fix. There are some major good deals out there on these amps used.

Archived