Ibby Question

Ovid9

• Members

I haz an Ibanez Destroyer (no, not a cool 80s one, the circa 2000 MIK reissue) and...while the ibanez pickups are hotter and bassier than {censored}....i sorta love it.

Its beat to hell and has the crack at the neck that it seems many Ibanez guitars get. At least their cheaper ones. My old RX something had the same thing going on.

How big a deal is that and is there any real fix for it?

The guitar plays like a dream and since I've lowered the pups as far as they'll go it even can sound ok. I'm sorta torn between offing it for cheap on CL or @ GC and hanging on to it. But...I guess it sorta depends on if I'm just waiting for the day when the neck and body decide to part ways.

• Members

Post pics if you can. The infamous neck-joint finish crack is not exclusive to the cheaper models. Even high-end Jems suffered from these finish cracks.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Soundgardener75, the crack isn't in the neck, its where the neck goes into the body, like the neck shifted 1/8" or so down and cracked the finish leaving a slight gap on the other side.

I will take pics and rez the thread tomorrow.

And NBB, in a way, I'm glad its not just the lower end ones it happens too. But, it makes me sad if its going to be a real problem cause I do like the guitar even as beat up as it is.

• Members

in my experience those are just finish cracks, it won't effect playablity or neck stability ever.

If you love how it plays, slap some decent pups in there and continue to love it.

I really hope this is what I hear tomorrow after posting pics. :D

I forget which Ibanez pickups are in there, but good god are they hot and bassy. I mean, its insane. I have the bass on like 3 on my bravo's clean channel and it still can be too much sometimes. :lol:

• Members

in my experience those are just finish cracks, it won't effect playablity or neck stability ever.

If you love how it plays, slap some decent pups in there and continue to love it.

This. Most Ibby's from the 80's suffered from the neck-joint finish crack. You were considered bloody lucky if you had one without the crack.

• Members

This. Most Ibby's from the 80's suffered from the neck-joint finish crack. You were considered bloody lucky if you had one without the crack.

Well, there's only one way to find out, and that is after he posts pics. Let's just hope it is just that, I have thought of that as well when he first posted this thread.

• Members

Well, there's only one way to find out, and that is after he posts pics. Let's just hope it is just that, I have thought of that as well when he first posted this thread.

Oh crap. I forgot I made this thread. :lol:

Off to take some pics!

• Members

Ok, 1st pic is bottom of neck joint:

2dj5iyh.jpg

And the top. The flash made it so you can't see the gap, but its maybe the thickness of a business card or two between the body and the top of the neck. But the white space between the neck and the body is actually a small gap.

o92yx1.jpg

Edit: Every time I post a pic it reminds me how crappy our camera is. :facepalm:

Archived