You guys know anything about bass guitars? Recommend me a bass!

soilent

• Members

There's no denying the P toane. It really does sound great. The thing for me is just the neck profile and feel of the instrument. My main ax for my first 4 years of playing was a modded neck-thru Charvel with EMGs, so from the onset that's really the sound/style I've always been comfy with and stick to. So a big, beefy "one-piece" bass with active electronics is what I dig. I just end up selling everything so why bother trying anymore.....
:lol:
I had about the nicest Stingray 5 there was for about a month but it paled in comparison to my mid 90's USA Spector NS-5!
:love:

I have a '00 Euro 4 (the early model w/ the solid maple wings, not the laminate wings) that I'll be putting down on tape coming on Monday. I'm 90% of the time a 5 string player but the P/J configuration records better/cleaner.

I think it depends what you're recording and through what. The Spector Euro IV is definitely the nicest to play beyond a shadow of a doubt and through my Warwick rig, it makes all the right noises. I love it.

But that Japanese P-Bass even surprised me. There's just no denying it, the sound of it recorded is just cleaner and more aggressive for some reason. It's nowhere near as nice to play or as light or as luggable as the Spector, but on tape, it's where it's at! I did change out the original pickup for an EMG though. The Spector still has the stock pickups in it.

That said, if I could only have one bass, I'd be hanging onto the Spector. They're separate basses anyway; the p-bass is in Eb and the Spector is in C.

I did have a 5-string Warwick which played really nice, I just decided I didn't like 5s.

Also, in a post above, you said...

My low B is a .156 tuned to A. It makes all the difference in the world when your strings have the right tension for the tuning you are in.

Or, just get a 5 sting set, and use the B and
ADG
strings.

Was that a typo? Or have I missed a trick? On my Spector, I kept the BEAD strings... just wondering if you toss the E string and use the top three with the B and if so, why? I'm just wondering if there's some kinda trick I've missed for awesomeness?

• Members

I'm looking for new I guess. I'm not crazy about buying used because I always feel like they're selling it for a reason. I.E. something is probably wrong with it.

If it's gotta be new, then I'd go for the Ibanez SR500 or thereabouts depending on what street prices are like near you.

I'm just not a fan of the LTD basses. BC Rich did some really good basses around that price point years back, but I've no idea if they still offer them. I have a neckthru Beast IV in my wardrobe in need of a new nut (just not got round to it) which plays really well. Maybe you can find NOS or something?

• Members

I've been a bass player for most of my playing life. I have never felt that the Ibanez SR basses are worth the $$ . Most of them just feel 'hard' to play, and for the money, you can find a lot better IMHO.

I love my Stiletto studio 5 string. There is no truth in saying that bolt-ons record better, this is a bunch of crap. Your tone is there in your rig and your fingers, so if you can't make that translate, then the engineer is doing something wrong. Actually, my stiletto records great direct and I've had many engineers who do very little to the tracks overall to make them shine in the mix.

For dropped tune stuff, Fenders would not be my first guess. Tuning a BEAD set down would definitely be the way to go.

• Members

Also, in a post above, you said...

Was that a typo? Or have I missed a trick? On my Spector, I kept the BEAD strings... just wondering if you toss the E string and use the top three with the B and if so, why? I'm just wondering if there's some kinda trick I've missed for awesomeness?

Nah that's my bad- self bro-pwnt...... :cry:

I forgot he was tuning drop A, which yes would just be AEAD, so that makes more sense. However, you could also try it that way it just depends.

I guess what I meant to say was I just really hate "tuning up", so I guess drop Bb/A# would be the lowest tuning you'd want to tune an A string down to w/out hitting the next "standard" tuning string, in an E.

I'm just used to detuning strings so I'd probably actually do it the way I said anyway lol :lol:

Also, you put EMGs in the Fenfer?? Well no dang wonder it sounds so good, brah! ;) ;)

You should throw a real set of EMG's in the Spector if you haven't done so already. They're half the battle, in addition to the Haz Labs pres. :rawk:

• Members

I'm looking for new I guess. I'm not crazy about buying used because I always feel like they're selling it for a reason. I.E. something is probably wrong with it.

Nah, used can just as easily be new at 1/2 price........ :lol:

Coming from someone who's ordered 4 brand new above list-price basses and sold every single one of them, I can attest to this. :facepalm:

Check out this website: www.talkbass.com

Browse the Classifieds. I'm a member there and they have a very very solid Feedback Rating system that's rock solid and you can buy used with confidence. Has a huge number of Spector honks like me and some great deals to be had. :thu:

• Members

Okay. Cool man. What Spectors would you recommend in my price range?

The NS-2A stuff is great (and affordable) that usually have had some upgrades done to them.

Anything in the NS/2000 range is also great. If you could find one of those in a neck-thru, you'd be golden.

You may be able to score a ReBop in that range, but that'd be cuttin' it close.

I'm heading out for the night but I will be dickin' around all day tomorrow and will do a search on TB as well as eBay and will PM you some stuff that I myself would feel ok purchasing. :thu:

Archived