L-pad attenuator question

icanshred

• Members

http://www.webervst.com/lpad.htm

im thinking of making one of these at looks like a good simple design but had some questions if anyone can help me.

the diagram shown involes using one speaker but i was going to make one for my 212 combo amp and was wondering how it needs to be different. I was thinking of making 2 one per speaker but then it could lead to problems if their not set at the same level.

anyone know of any wayto make this work for a 212?

• Members

It doesn't matter how many speakers you have, what matters is the impedance of the amplifier. If the amp has a 4 ohm output transformer, then you would build a 4 ohm attenuator.

There are other factors to consider as well. How much power is your amp? If it's 50 watts rms or more, you'll need at least a 100 watt attenuator. If you intend to use the resistors Ted sells then you will need to use multiples to soak up all the wattage, and heat sink them as well. This attenuator I built uses 50 watt resistors in parallel so you would think it is 100 watt rated, but without heat sinks and a fan the resistors got WAY too hot. The biggest amp I would use with this attenuator is probably about 40 watts rms. I have some other internal pictures of it I could post if you wanted to see. Also, here is a smaller attenuator I built in a coffee can that is pretty cool. There is information on that page about L-Pad attenuators and how to build them too.

Archived