NAD! Mrak content inside

greatmutah

• Members

Ok so here's what I've found. Clean channel on the V is immaculate, not unlike the IV but with many more modes and options. A lot of playability and all the modes sound fantastic. The middle channel on the V kicks the crap out of the middle channel on the IV. Very usable and can almost keep up with the high gain channel in some modes. I was expecting to be blown away by Mark I mode but it was actually Crunch mode itself that surprised me. Good spectrum of gain, awesome harmonic spread and very, very rich. Could easily get some Rush-like tones (ala Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures) with little to no work. Just superbly pleased with that channel.

The high gain channel between both I expected to be very similar, and on modes IV and Extreme, they are. Granted my IV is a IVA and this is closer in sound I imagine to a IVB but the differences are so minute they're damn near the same. IIC+ mode, for me, is where the amp shows it's stuff. Less compressed, more hair on the top end and a great harmonic haze. On top of that lead lines feel like they "play themeselves" so to speak. Very fluid and rich, especially on a good neck pickup. Built in reverb is good too. Much better than the IV in that department. A couple things I wish this amp did that the IV does: Real simul-class capability. By that I mean being able to run EL34s in the outer sockets at the same time as 6L6s. I know I can bias it for EL34s but really, why can't it do both at the same time like previous models? Also, the IV had a gain-boost switch on the back for Harmonics or Mid-boost. It was primarily meant to fatten up lower gain sounds on the lead channel, but it can sound really damn good with high gain. Not a necessity, but it would have been cool to have. Overall, first couple days impressions is that I like it on the surface, now I just need to really dig in and play with it more.

• Members

Great review.

You can run both EL34s and 6L6s at the same time on the V. You need to put in 6L6 mode, put the EL34s in the inner sockets and the 6L6s in the outer sockets. (--The opposite of how it works on the IV.) Also, once you do that, you must never run it in 10 watt mode.

The original manual for the Mark V said this was how to run simul-class. However, once they discovered that running two kinds of tubes would hurt the amp in 10 watt mode, they took it out of the manual and started telling people to use one tube or the other.

• Members

Great review.

You can run both EL34s and 6L6s at the same time on the V. You need to put in 6L6 mode, put the EL34s in the inner sockets and the 6L6s in the outer sockets. (--The opposite of how it works on the IV.) Also, once you do that, you must never run it in 10 watt mode.

The original manual for the Mark V said this was how to run simul-class. However, once they discovered that running two kinds of tubes would hurt the amp in 10 watt mode, they took it out of the manual and started telling people to use one tube or the other.

ah,I wasn't aware of this.I read many mixed opinions on this ...did you try it with yours and is it even worth doing???

• Members

Hmmmmm, the lack of being able to run it in simul-class would be a deal breaker for me on the V. I love love love the simul-class sound. Both my III and IV have it. That sound has become addictive to me.

so what is it that you love about it????

• Members

so what is it that you love about it????

The tone. It's el34s and 6l6s together, It's the best of both worlds. I really think my Marks,(the III in paticular) sound very similar to my JVM in the EL34 50w mode, and very similar to a Peavey like the Ultra or VTM with all 6l6s. The Simul-class sound is the Mesa sound to me, it sounds like you're playing 2 amps at once. Best of both worlds.

• Members

ah,I wasn't aware of this.I read many mixed opinions on this ...did you try it with yours and is it even worth doing???

Yes, I've run it that way for months at a time. Some people on the Boogie Board have run their Vs with mixed tubes for 2+ years with no problems. It should only cause a problem if you put it in 10 watt mode. (In the 10 watt mode, the amp runs off one tube but then uses another tube as some sort of sink. I don't remember the details. But in that case, it's important that the tubes match.)

Personally, I prefer using a mix of two types* of EL34 tubes. Part of the reason for this, I think, is that Mesa actually biased the amp to run rather hot in EL34 mode. So, rather than the typical cold bias Mesa tone, it has something close to the proper bias in EL34 mode.

*SEDs + TAD EL34B-STRs. I don't use Mesa's STR 447s. They sound too brittle and bright IMO.

• Members

Yes, I've run it that way for months at a time. Some people on the Boogie Board have run their Vs with mixed tubes for 2+ years with no problems. It should only cause a problem if you put it in 10 watt mode. (In the 10 watt mode, the amp runs off one tube but then uses another tube as some sort of sink. I don't remember the details. But in that case, it's important that the tubes match.)

Personally, I prefer using a mix of two types* of EL34 tubes. Part of the reason for this, I think, is that Mesa actually biased the amp to run rather hot in EL34 mode. So, rather than the typical cold bias Mesa tone, it has something close to the proper bias in EL34 mode.

*SEDs + TAD EL34B-STRs. I don't use Mesa's STR 447s. They sound too brittle and bright IMO.

I've gotten tired of that same flat el34 tone, 6l6s sound to cloudy to me. Put them together though and :)

• Members

Cool info guys!

Congrats on the new amp, too. Been struggling with my Mark IV. Still trying to find that "sound" that melts my panties. :)

I have been running 6L6's in it but am thinking I may go back to Simul-Class. I have some Tung Sol EL34B's laying around that I could mix in with my SED Winged C's!

• Members

Cool info guys!

Congrats on the new amp, too. Been struggling with my Mark IV. Still trying to find that "sound" that melts my panties.
:)

I have been running 6L6's in it but am thinking I may go back to Simul-Class. I have some Tung Sol EL34B's laying around that I could mix in with my SED Winged C's!

Holy {censored}, just realized you and the OP aren't the same person. Your both from Michigan, using Marks, and your user names for some reason seem similar to me LOL

Archived