Long time no see, need advice on multi-effects/modeling for headphones and recording.

JBecker

• Members

I haven't been here in a long time. I pretty much stopped playing guitar by the end of 2009. I was finishing up my bachelor's, headed into grad school. I still fooled around about an hour a week for a bit but by Jan 2010 I just didn't feel like playing much.

Grad school finished, I got a job, and life has just been too busy. Work, keeping up a condo I bought, living with my girlfriend, got an awesome dog... you know how it is.

On top of that, I just haven't heard much inspiring or even good music lately. I'm listening to pretty much the same stuff now that I listened to 5 or 6 years ago and I find myself with less time and less interest in listening.

So, a real musical funk.

My electric guitars and amp are all in storage (my parents house) and I just have an acoustic around. I've been playing so little I no longer have calluses and I'm at least a month away from getting back the strength in my left hand to really play for a while. As much as I've always preferred playing acoustic, it's just not getting me excited right now.

So on to my real question-- I'm going to NY this weekend. I'm thinking of grabbing my main electric and getting a fresh setup. Maybe having an electric guitar around will get me going. I'll leave the amp behind-- it's completely impractical to have one at any volume in my apartment and I'm not playing anywhere else, but I have to plug into something.

So what's out there that doesn't sound awful and has a lot of interesting, decent effects. I'm not interested in just guitar textures right now. I'm not interested in even recording something that I'll be proud of the sound. I just want to get down some scratch song ideas, play around with textures, etc and try and start composing a little in the hopes that it jump starts my interest again. If I start writing stuff that excites me or sounds good, I can always step it up and upgrade the {censored} out of my equipment. I don't need to be cheap about it, but professional perfect-quality everything is not important. Most important is access to lots of sounds, easy, for my headphones and to record that don't sound awful. Ease of use matters here because I have to just pick up my guitar and start having fun.

tl;dr what's up bitchez?!?!? recommend me some mapz modellers with good multifx, in b4 should have got a deluxe (axefx).

Did I do that right or have I been gone too long?:cop::cop:

• Members

i got a podhd500 and im quite happy with it... sounds good and it has a looper on it. you can get users tone from the website and some of them are quite good. as always the higain doesnt sound like the real thing but overall i think you can get a sound you'll be digging. direct recording via usb and you get a user interface to control your sound via your pc.

• Members

Sub 500 is impulse buy territory which is mostly where I am but I could do as much as 1000. I'm thinking I shouldn't have to spend that much but I'm willing. Whatever I buy I want it to be something I could dump again quick for the same price in case the inspiration doesn't come.

Archived