A GarageBand Question.

Chrisjd

• Members

Hi guys.

I am using garageband now, completely new to recording. I bought an SM-57 and a M-Audio firewire solo.

I have 2 guitar tracks, and I want to add drums and bass. I do NOT know how to add drums to the track. I see there are some drum samples in GarageBand, but i do now know how to incorporate them. When I tried to drag them onto a new track, it told me it couldn't and that instead I would need to drag "green apple loops"??? What does this mean and how difficult is this to do?

Also, can any of you point me in the direction of a good, free drum program that is easy to use?

• Members

I think what you're trying to do is drag the MIDI/ virtual instrument onto a track, which won't work. You can either use the virtual instruments provided in GB or you can drag the premade loops onto a track. If you want to use the virtual instruments you have to set up an instrument track and use your keyboard to trigger the sounds.

• Members

Hi guys.

I am using garageband now, completely new to recording. I bought an SM-57 and a M-Audio firewire solo.

I have 2 guitar tracks, and I want to add drums and bass. I do NOT know how to add drums to the track. I see there are some drum samples in GarageBand, but i do now know how to incorporate them. When I tried to drag them onto a new track, it told me it couldn't and that instead I would need to drag "green apple loops"??? What does this mean and how difficult is this to do?

Also, can any of you point me in the direction of a good, free drum program that is easy to use?

Just went through almost exactly the same scenario a couple of weeks ago. I got the drum loops going, but determined that they pretty much sucked for trying to do anything useful, like simple beats that can be assembled into a backing track to rock out to. Everything I've seen is $100 or more to get going, and I'm about broke at the moment. I'm nothing more than an idiot guitar player with little understanding of time signature, beats, and all that crap - I just want to point and click so I can play along. I hope this thread gets some good feedback!

:snax:

• Members

This isn't GB per se - but in general, if you are planning to use drums (particularly midi/software generated drums), you'll either want to put the drums in first and then the guitars - or, play to the guitar to a click track and note the time - otherwise, matching things up will be next to impossible.

• Members

I found adding drums to Garage Band pretty simple... I'm not @ home by my Mac now so I can't remember exactly how i did it but.... I think you need to add a virtual insturment and then configure it as drums, pick the loop and drag and drop it in to the track... if I remember correctly Garage Band did a half decent job of fitting the groove to my riff... just didn't sound as good as EZDrummer.. I have to agree GodIsAConcept in that you should have put the drums down first... .just makes things WAY easier after... though... Garage Band does have that feature, I think it's called Groove Lock or something that kinda fixes any lag or slightly out of time playing....

• Members

garageband has its use, and that use is {censored}in easy man.

the drum program in garage band is basic and midi sounding (nothing on SSD, SD and Ezi)

What version do you have?

I used garage band for years and its been great for what it is, so i might be able to help.

Archived