DIY pedal Art Work? Help!

88mm

• Members

How do you guys make Pedal size stickers that go over you DIY pedal.

I have some pictures that I would like to make into a sticker and use as the artwork for a pedal.

Tips?

Please be detailed if you can.

Thanks.

• Members

SmallBear sells decal stock:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=56

There are tutorials available on how to apply decals, but here's a short recap:

1) paint and sand the enclosure

2) print the decal, cut it out and soak it in warm water for 20-30 seconds

3) place the decal on the enclosure and gently pull the backing paper away so the decal falls into place

4) optionally apply some decal softener for a more painted on look

5) let the decal dry, then clear coat

• Members

If all you're doing is simple labels, Word (or equivalent text editor) will suffice.

If you want to get into more advanced designs, a good vector drawing program (Photoshop might work in a pinch) is the way to go. I use Adobe Fireworks myself.

It helps to find out the maximum resolution (dpi, dots per inch) your printer can do, then setting the resolution of your document to that. By default most programs use 72dpi, which is the resolution of computer screens. Modern laser printers can do 600dpi and better (probably way better, I haven't really kept up to date with this), which gives excellent quality. I've once printed a decal with 300dpi by accident, and the lines and edges were noticeably jagged.

• Members

I've worked with waterslide decals. My advice is to make many small decals if possible, rather than one large one. Like one decal for each knob. That stuff is reeeeaally delicate and hard to work with. It tears easily and gets bubbles easily. Small decals are just easier to work with. That said, if you do a good job, the results are worth the effort.

• Members

I've worked with waterslide decals. My advice is to make many small decals if possible, rather than one large one. Like one decal for each knob. That stuff is reeeeaally delicate and hard to work with. It tears easily and gets bubbles easily. Small decals are just easier to work with. That said, if you do a good job, the results are worth the effort.

The only problem with small decals is that you can usually see the edges on the waterslide paper

• Members

Exactly. I'd suggest making one large decal to cover the whole front of the pedal. It's harder to get it right, but the results are better. If you slide the backing paper away from underneath it so the decal falls into place, you shouldn't get (m)any air bubbles. The main thing is to hold it down evenly across the starting edge (the opposite of where you start pulling the backing paper away), otherwise it'll distort. It helps to make sure the decal is well wet.

Also, if you do go for one large decal, you might see it wrinkle up when you start applying the clear coats. Don't worry about that, it'll smooth up again after it dries a little.

Archived