I forgot how good the Legacy sounds

guitarbilly74

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Dude, you're back to the Billy sig amp
:lol:

Still selling the Randall? And the G major?

Whore
:o

The Randall is sold.

The G-major is for sale. As much as I really like it, I am definitely not a rack guy anymore, I am just plugging into the amp with a few pedals up front and I am happy with that.

• Members

what's your take on Legacy vs. DSL?

Legacy = super smooth, very little saturation, low-mid emphasis, loose bass, very little effort for soloing.

DSL = more sizzle, high-mid emphasis, slightly tighter bass but not Fryette tight, I need to work more for soloing.

The clean channel on the Legacy {censored}s on most amps, much less the DSL.

• Members

Legacy = super smooth, very little saturation, low-mid emphasis, loose bass, very little effort for soloing.

DSL = more sizzle, high-mid emphasis, slightly tighter bass but not Fryette tight, I need to work more for soloing.

The clean channel on the Legacy {censored}s on most amps, much less the DSL.

which one do you prefer? If you had to choose one?

• Members

Y'all's conversation is very interesting to me, as I've often thought that if, God forbid!, something were to happen to my Speed Twin, either of those amps might be a decent replacement. Tried 'em each at one time or another in music shops, but not side-by-side, and never in gigging situations, obviously. Really liked each of them, though, just from a quick (& relatively quiet) test run. :thu:

• Members

Y'all's conversation is very interesting to me, as I've often thought that if, God forbid!, something were to happen to my Speed Twin, either of those amps might be a decent replacement. Tried 'em each at one time or another in music shops, but not side-by-side, and never in gigging situations, obviously. Really liked each of them, though, just from a quick (& relatively quiet) test run.
:thu:

If I had the chance to try the DSL before taking the plunge, I probably wouldn't have got it. I thought I could live with one EQ but I now know that I really prefer having separate EQs.

I can make the DSL work for sure but I can make the Legacy work better.

• Members

Y'all's conversation is very interesting to me, as I've often thought that if, God forbid!, something were to happen to my Speed Twin, either of those amps might be a decent replacement. Tried 'em each at one time or another in music shops, but not side-by-side, and never in gigging situations, obviously. Really liked each of them, though, just from a quick (& relatively quiet) test run.
:thu:

The thing about the Legacy is that is has 3 possible volume levels... loud, louder and holy {censored}!!!

You can get some ok tones at low volumes but the amp really comes alive when played loud. I think it would be too much amp for you.

The new Legacy 3 has a master volume and a 25w setting so that would probably be ok, but the I is a loud beast!!

• Members
If I had the chance to try the DSL before taking the plunge, I probably wouldn't have got it. I thought I could live with one EQ but I now know that I really prefer having separate EQs.

I can make the DSL work for sure but I can make the Legacy work better.

I dig. And it's funny to me that I liked the Legacy I tried so much, since I (think) I tend to prefer more saturation & a higher mid emphasis. But with the voicing & feel of the Legacy, I knew I could make it work for my music, if that makes sense.

Then again, the DSL might be more my speed, since I don't use a clean channel a whole lot. :idk: I'd prolly just run the DSL's clean channel on crunch, and have two gain sounds ~ I generally roll back my guit's volume for cleans anyway, as I like mah cleans dirrrrrty. :p

• Members

I dig. And it's funny to me that I liked the Legacy I tried so much, since I (think) I tend to prefer more saturation & a higher mid emphasis. But with the voicing & feel of the Legacy, I knew I could make it work for my music, if that makes sense.

Then again, the DSL might be more my speed, since I don't use a clean channel a whole lot.
:idk:
I'd prolly just run the DSL's clean channel on crunch, and have two gain sounds ~ I generally roll back my guit's volume for cleans anyway, as I like mah cleans dirrrrrty.
:p

If that's how you roll, the DSL is right up your alley. I need crystal cleans so I never use the crunch mode.

Having both the DSL and the Legacy, I'm satisfied. Best of both worlds if you ask me :)

• Members

The Randall is sold.

The G-major is for sale. As much as I really like it, I am definitely not a rack guy anymore, I am just plugging into the amp with a few pedals up front and I am happy with that.

dude. The Randall is gone? :lol: What are you gonna

Yeah man, I can get that. I'm enjoying the pedal rig.

• Members

I'm running EL34s. The Legacy gain channel was really voiced for ELs, it sounds much better. But if you want to run the amp as a clean platform for pedals, 6L6s sound really good for that.

I liked the Legacy's cleans much better with EL34s than 6L6s.

With the 6L6s, there was this slight scoop that the mid eq frequency didn't play nice with (the Legacy's eq freqs were unique).

This was thru the first run greenback cab though, & it may have sounded fine through other speakers with 6L6s.

• Members
The thing about the Legacy is that is has 3 possible volume levels... loud, louder and holy {censored}!!!

You can get some ok tones at low volumes but the amp really comes alive when played loud. I think it would be too much amp for you.

The new Legacy 3 has a master volume and a 25w setting so that would probably be ok, but the I is a loud beast!!

That is almost certainly true ~ hell, the Maz 18 was "too much amp for me," based solely on volume concerns. :D Love me some cranked amp tone, but I just can't not have a good master volume these days...

• Members
If that's how you roll, the DSL is right up your alley. I need crystal cleans so I never use the crunch mode.

Having both the DSL and the Legacy, I'm satisfied. Best of both worlds if you ask me
:)

Having just recently turned 41, I am *lovin'* the idea that there's a way that I "roll" ... :D:thu:

• Members

I liked the Legacy's cleans much better with EL34s than 6L6s.

With the 6L6s, there was this slight scoop that the mid eq frequency didn't play nice with (the Legacy's eq freqs were unique).

This was thru the first run greenback cab though, & it may have sounded fine through other speakers with 6L6s.

Yeah I was talking about the tone with the V30s the Legacy cabs come with now. The slightly scoop on the clean channel with the 6L6s balances well with the mid hump on the V30s.

But I intend to run mine with ELs, I love the drive tone and the clean channel is still awesome with it.

Archived