Anybody looking for a new Windows laptop?

The Anomaly

• Members

that is not a good laptop

What's wrong with it? I mean that in the "surfing/banking/watching movies" kind of way.

Both my girls got new laptops last year which are very good, for about the same price, and their specs aren't as good as this one.

• Members

Specs arn't everything, its got an AMD processor so its slower, hotter, and has crappy battery life. HPs are known for being low quality bargin bin stuff. So sure it is a laptop, not a good one.

Sure, it's slower. But not by much. Heat and battery life depends more on the laptop design, IMO.

Also disagree about the bargin bin comment. My company is full of HP machines and they've been great so far.

• Members

I don't hate AMDs in a desktop, but they well and truly suck in mobile applications.

I do have to say though that HP runs the gamut anymore from true quality to true crap. They used to use the Compaq name to label their {censored} boxes, but now they just throw HP on all of them. We buy quality HPs at work and they're fine. Got a friend that buys the cheapest HP laptops he can find once a year because he HAS to replace it within the year. They're utterly useless right out of the box, but he'll fight them that long to run spreadsheets for his financial business then go buy another cheapo throw-away next year.

This really looks like the type he'd buy.

• Members

Sure, it's slower. But not by much. Heat and battery life depends more on the laptop design, IMO.

Also disagree about the bargin bin comment. My company is full of HP machines and they've been great so far.

You are dead wrong, the frequency rating is not the entire story, the Intel will be MUCH faster and run cooler. AMDs current chips are garbage and I would not buy them given the competition.

Archived