FX loop/pedal sequence

the_SLOP_king

• Members

Hey folks. I have a question. I recently picked up an MXR 10 band EQ and today I have my amp at the house so I wanted to tweak it a little bit before we break in the new jam space. We spent Saturday night hauling gear about an hour away and it starts raining like a bitch. Our cabs were in the back of Rob's truck without a tarp...2 JBL 2x15's and 2 4x12's. It sucked. Thank god my amp was inside a car.

Anyway, that's beside the point. SG75 suggested I run the MXR through the effects loop on my JCM900. The thing is, if I do that, the dirty channel gets so much of a volume boost that I have to turn the master down to like 9 o'clock instead of noon. Anyway, here's my set up.

guitar---wah--Blues driver---amp---MXR

I'm also curious as to what settings I can run on that MXR to get a better rhythm tone. It seems like it starts to clip when I hit the blues driver though. I've never needed to use an effects loop before, but I think I'm on to some cool tones here.

Anyway, how do I keep the MXR from clipping so bad and still keep a good lead tone with the blues driver? I'm going for a more scooped metal tone and I think I can get pretty darn close with this eq pedal.

• Members

There is also a trim pot on the back of the amp. I think that controls the effects loop output...? If this is set too high, I assume that would cause clipping too?

That's correct. If you are using pedals through the loop, you need to set the trim pot to its lowest setting, which will make it compatible with instrument-level effects, such as guitar pedals. The higher settings are used only when you are using a line level rack and needs the signal to be strong enough to feed a proper signal to the racks input. So lowering the trim pot will solve your volume boost and clipping issues.

As for what settings to use, well it's an EQ. Just experiment with the sliders until you are getting the tone you like.

Archived