Final (hopefully) Pickup wiring question

Ovid9

• Members

EDIT: SUCCESS!!! THANKS TO RIFFY FOR THE HOOKUP ON THE PICKUPS!

COMPLETE REWRITE! :D

Got the pickups installed, Ibanez V7/V8s. (Thanks riffy!) The new pickups have 3 wires, white, red, ground.

I installed them like this first picture, a DTX120:

W97042.gif

They sound like {censored}. Nasty buzzy awful single coily sound. I wired the white to the switch, the red & ground to the back of the pot.

I THINK going by this picture that the Vs came out of:

W97019.gif

What I need to do is wire both red & white to the switch (its a 3 way switch in my guitar not a 5) and I'll be in business. Does this sound correct?

• Members

When you say "Green/red/other colored wire", how many wires do you mean are coming from each pickup? If it's 4 and you aren't installing coil taps, two of the four need to be soldered together, only one goes to ground and one goes to the switch. If you solder all excett one to ground you are in essence perma tapping the humbucker which would explain the single coilyness.

Now, which colors are which depends on the brand of pickups.

• Members

Edited for clarity. I knew what I was saying, but no one else would. :lol:

Damn colorblindness.

The pickups being installed are Ibanez V7 & V8. They are only 3 wires each.

I think the other color is red but its damned hard to tell. :mad::lol::facepalm:

I'm thinking my first pickup changing experience should not have been in a guitar with a little tiny body cavity.

Sheesh.

Edit: By looking at a guitar diagram that a V7/V8 came out of....I probably should have wired the white/red together in retrospect. It was used in guitars with 5 way switching...mine has 3..... {censored}! :facepalm:

• Members

Edited for clarity. I knew what I was saying, but no one else would.
:lol:
Damn colorblindness.

The pickups being installed are Ibanez V7 & V8. They are only 3 wires each.

I think the other color is red but its damned hard to tell.
:mad::lol::facepalm:

I'm thinking my first pickup changing experience should not have been in a guitar with a little tiny body cavity. Sheesh.

Which specific guitar is this? Most of the stuff in Ibanez guitars is utter garbage so I've always just tossed it and bought high quality switches and pots and wired them up via a Dimarzio diagram or something.

BTW... If your pickups are two conductor it doesn't really matter which way you wire them when they're switched so they're on by themselves. You do have to worry about them being out of phase in the middle position but the pickup will work fine wired "backwards" by itself. If it sounds like {censored} in all switch positions you've got something else going on.

• Members

Which specific guitar is this? Most of the stuff in Ibanez guitars is utter garbage so I've always just tossed it and bought high quality switches and pots and wired them up via a Dimarzio diagram or something.

This is a DTX120, the "Millenium" mini Destroyer. Someone had previously changed the pickups in it to something awful.

I'm putting Ibanez V7/V8s in it. Unlike the pickups I took out, these have 3 wires. In my noobness (ok, so I didn't think this through) I just wired up the V7/V8s like the old pickups were. Except that's wrong I'm seeing now. I needed to wire both colored wires to the switch. I think.

First picture up there is the guitar I'm working on. THIS is an image of a guitar that the pickups would've come out of. I didn't think to look at how the new pickups were supposed to be wired. Just looking at how the OE pickups were wired isn't all that helpful in this situation.

W97019.gif

• Members

I got lost trying to read... LOL

Anyways, frying up a pot is not an easy task
:lol:

My explanation sucks as I'm frustrated and typing faster than I'm thinking therefore I ramble.

See? :lol:

Finally have OP edited to make some semblance of sense. I think.

• Members

No coil split? Red to switch, ground to ground, leave white alone. I haven't installed Ibanez pickups in a while but I am pretty sure this is it.

No coil split, just a 3 way switch. After looking at the diagram (diagram #2) for the pups I'm installing, this is what I thought too.

I should move the red to the switch with the white and then I think I'll have it.

At least I'm getting to practice soldering. :lol::facepalm:

• Members

No coil split, just a 3 way switch. After looking at the diagram (diagram #2) for the pups I'm installing, this is what I thought too.

I should move the red to the switch with the white and then I think I'll have it.

At least I'm getting to practice soldering.
:lol::facepalm:

No you don't connect the whites to anything.

Leave the whites alone, son.

Love,

George Zimmerman.

• Members

The inbanez v7 and v8 p/u are wired for coil tapping. It is a standard 2 wire job. (As in one wire and the ground)

The tap works with the ground also. Check the resistance between each of the wires and the ground. Use the higher number for the full humbucker.

They are pretty decent pickups by the way. Especially the neck.

• Members

The inbanez v7 and v8 p/u are wired for coil tapping. It is a standard 2 wire job. (As in one wire and the ground)

The tap works with the ground also. Check the resistance between each of the wires and the ground. Use the higher number for the full humbucker.

They are pretty decent pickups by the way. Especially the neck.

Cool, thanks!

• Members

Why are the white's the hot wire in the first diagram, and the red's are hot in the HSH diagram? Different pickups/company?

Same company- Ibanez

Different pickups from different guitars.

Outside of that.... :idk:

On that note though....how exactly does one tell which is the "hot" wire? In the first diagram, its pretty easy, white is the only one hooked up. In the second, they are all hooked to something..... Do they just list the hot wire first?

• Members

Why are the white's the hot wire in the first diagram, and the red's are hot in the HSH diagram? Different pickups/company?

That's why Ibanez pickups are often best tossed in the bin and replaced... among other reasons.

• Members

That's why Ibanez pickups are often best tossed in the bin and replaced... among other reasons.

This has been a learning experience in many ways. MANY ways. However, riffy was awesome enough to hook me up with the Vs for nothing so I am not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth at all. They will be a massive improvement over the no name POS that had been installed.

Aside from the actual hands on stuff, it has taught me to do all my homework ahead of time instead of running into issue after issue when it comes time to install. Nothing like running to 4 different stores today trying to find 4 - 32 (or 40? I forget) machine screws to hold the pickups since they weren't standard sized. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

Attaching the other colored wire to the switch worked like a charm. I taped off the white wires and tucked them in the cavity. The new pickups sound great, especially compared to the old ones!

The V8 is one HOT pickup, but its just generally hot, not {censored}ty sounds like flubby mud hot like whatever was in there.

The v7 sounds excellent, really digging it.

This was a great learning experience and again, thanks to riffy for the hookup on the pickups!

Now back to rocking this beat up POS. :lol:

Archived