Whats a good job to make money these days?

Rear Naked

• Members

See post above yours
:lol:

Anesthetist would be {censored}ing sweet, but Id have to take a couple of anatomy classes
:rolleyes:
, and get a nursing degree first, then work for a year in critical care, then go to a CRNA program. Unless you're confusing anesthetist with anesthesiologist...

Anesthesiologists are physicians. That is competitive, just like all the other specialties that make bank (radiology, derm, etc.)

My bad lol. So what's an anesthetist? I thought that was like a jr. happy gas man or something... :lol:

I probably couldn't do well enough in the A&P courses to do that, like you referenced. Having a BIL that lives so close and I've known since he was in med school and now going through residency, medicine ain't glamorous like the r3tard strongs online seem to make it. I could never do it, much less be married and be away from your spouse that long n {censored}. I know it's only for a while but damn. I wouldn't enjoy having to sleep on a damn cot for 8 days straight at my office.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I know, scope of practice is a little less than nurse practitioner...probably due to the AMA regulating the P.A.s.

Salary expectation is not as high as I would want.

I guess I should be more interested than I am. I'm pretty sure I would be pissed that the doctors knew more than me

Do you have an undergraduate degree already? If so, what is it? Maybe I can help.

Yeah, that's what I have read as well; however, the thing that has intrigued me is that (1) there is increasing demand for PAs (I want to stay in Arizona and there seems to be a lot of demand) and (2) the earning potential is there if you delve into a sub-specialty and continue your education.

Whenever I started going to school my original plan was to get a B.B.A. then go into a PharmD program and get an M.B.A. afterwards because the research I did and people I spoke with suggested that it was a good route. Now, it looks like the addition of accredited schools and increase in PharmD grads had the effect of reducing demand in the industry, so I am at a bit of a standstill. I actually have appointments with a few schools over the next couple of weeks to discuss possible options for me. PharmD is still an option, just not my number one.

Real shame, because had I known then what I know now, I would have gone with a B.S. in Biology, but now I have the B.B.A. which doesn't help me with some of these other ideas. At least I am young and my only (potential) mistake was getting a degree I already paid off. :idk:

• Members

If you're that far along why not be a PA or something? They do pretty well. If I had to start over again that's what I'd do. The anesthetist gig is good, if/where you can get one. It's pretty competitive according to my BIL (ortho surgeon). I've did work for a guy previously who contracted that service out and did really well but payed a ton in SE Tax since he was 1099'd and his insurance was just absolutely ridiculous, for obvious reasons.

Or just be a CPA.
:o:cop:
Not glamorous but pays great and you only work 6 mo's of the year basically at the right job/firm.

My mom wanted me to be a CPA forever and I thought it was a good idea too until I found out that I was essentially accounting-challenged. Finance and economics, no problem, loved it. Accounting? DERP GIMME MORE DIZZY WATER!

• Members

My bad lol. So what's an anesthetist? I thought that was like a jr. happy gas man or something...
I probably couldn't do well enough in the A&P courses to do that, like you referenced. Having a BIL that lives so close and I've known since he was in med school and now going through residency, medicine ain't glamorous like the r3tard strongs online seem to make it. I could never do it, much less be married and be away from your spouse that long n {censored}. I know it's only for a while but damn. I wouldn't enjoy having to sleep on a damn cot for 8 days straight at my office.

Anesthetist is a nurse who gets a graduate degree (much like a nurse practitioner), and is able to administer anesthesia. They have a job that is cool as {censored}, and earn 150K+ per year, and usually 40hrs/week no call.

Anesthesiologist is an MD/DO who does a residency in anesthesiology.

• Members

My mom wanted me to be a CPA forever and I thought it was a good idea too until I found out that I was essentially accounting-challenged. Finance and economics, no problem, loved it. Accounting? DERP GIMME MORE DIZZY WATER!

lulz yeah i actually absolutely hate and abhor accounting. i really wish they'd split up an undergrad for tax and like "book" accounting but it won't ever happen because in essence to be someone who can truly review and setup and coordinate all the tax/structure {censored} you gotta get your debits and credits in line, so it all just builds on top of one another. lame, but whatcha gonna do... :cry::(

• Members

Anesthetist is a nurse who gets a graduate degree (much like a nurse practitioner), and is able to administer anesthesia. They have a job that is cool as {censored}, and earn 150K+ per year, and usually 40hrs/week no call.

Anesthesiologist is an MD/DO who does a residency in anesthesiology.

ok so be the first one... :lol:

wass the holdup, brah??

• Members

Yeah, that's what I have read as well; however, the thing that has intrigued me is that (1) there is increasing demand for PAs (I want to stay in Arizona and there seems to be a lot of demand) and (2) the earning potential is there if you delve into a sub-specialty and continue your education.

Whenever I started going to school my original plan was to get a B.B.A. then go into a PharmD program and get an M.B.A. afterwards because the research I did and people I spoke with suggested that it was a good route. Now, it looks like the addition of accredited schools and increase in PharmD grads had the effect of reducing demand in the industry, so I am at a bit of a standstill. I actually have appointments with a few schools over the next couple of weeks to discuss possible options for me. PharmD is still an option, just not my number one.

Real shame, because had I known then what I know now, I would have gone with a B.S. in Biology, but now I have the B.B.A. which doesn't help me with some of these other ideas. At least I am young and my only (potential) mistake was getting a degree I already paid off.
:idk:

Well did you take your pharmacy prerequisites? If so, we are in the same boat.

One profession that nobody knows about is perfusionist. In houston, there is a program that costs 25 grand and is one year. These guys run the heart and lung machine during some surgeries. Jobs offers look to be around 80-100k. Not bad for one year of postgraduate training.

• Members

ok so be the first one...
wass the holdup, brah??

Hold up -

I don't have a nursing degree. That would take me 2.5-3 years to get. Then I would have to work as a nurse for at least a year, then apply/attend the 2.5 yr graduate program.

• Members

Hold up -

I don't have a nursing degree. That would take me 2.5-3 years to get. Then I would have to work as a nurse for at least a year, then apply/attend the 2.5 yr graduate program.

Ahhh, gotcha gotcha ok. Now that makes sense. :lol:

Yeah where I went to school we had/have a pretty baller nursing program, so if I were to ever have gone the PA route, it would have been then! My main college squeeze was in the program and they had 1 guy of the 30 or so in that class and I think he was going on to PA school or something like that. She ended up getting a few masters and does like neonatal infant birthing care or something crazy specialized.

• Members

Well did you take your pharmacy prerequisites? If so, we are in the same boat.

One profession that nobody knows about is perfusionist. In houston, there is a program that costs 25 grand and is one year. These guys run the heart and lung machine during some surgeries. Jobs offers look to be around 80-100k. Not bad for one year of postgraduate training.

Whenever I met with advisers, they suggested taking the prereqs after completing my B.B.A. so that I would be fresh for the PCAT, so I am set to enroll for them this Fall. Looking back, I shouldn't have done it this way, but I have to do what I have to do to get into the career I want to.

I did research Perfusion/Cardiovascular Science; however, the future of the field looks like it may not be as promising as it once was. That said, I am still somewhat interested in it. I would just have to do more research because I really want to get into something that has a good outlook.

• Members

Whenever I met with advisers, they suggested taking the prereqs after completing my B.B.A. so that I would be fresh for the PCAT, so I am set to enroll for them this Fall. Looking back, I shouldn't have done it this way, but I have to do what I have to do to get into the career I want to.

I did research Perfusion/Cardiovascular Science; however, the future of the field looks like it may not be as promising as it once was. That said, I am still somewhat interested in it. I would just have to do more research because I really want to get into something that has a good outlook.

Hmm....What adviser did you meet with? {censored}ing business department? :lol:

• Members

Hmm....What adviser did you meet with? {censored}ing business department?

First at the Community College level then with an adviser at the University I attended. I was naive, but I have to work through it. At least I'm not in debt from it. :facepalm:

More my fault than anything, though. I didn't have the greatest direction after high school, just knew I wanted to go to college and I looked for ease rather than value.

• Members

I was at Best Buy on Wednesday. I almost picked up an application to work in the "music" department. That's how bad it is here...

It is awful out here. I turned down a BA1 position for a good company while I was still in school because I thought I would be doing other things, but I have really come to regret that decision. Not the best job in the world, but still would have been great for a recent graduate.

This has been one of those six month periods for me where I would have been better off pulling a George Constanza by doing the exact opposite of everything I actually did.

• Members

It is awful out here. I turned down a BA1 position for a good company while I was still in school because I thought I would be doing other things, but I have really come to regret that decision. Not the best job in the world, but still would have been great for a recent graduate.

This has been one of those six month periods for me where I would have been better off pulling a George Constanza by doing the exact opposite of everything I actually did.

Well I guess by "here" I mean "my job", in that it's just stupid and isn't challenging. Most people would be happy w/ my salary n stuff but I can't just come in and punch a keyboard all day and not think. Plus we don't have enough work for me to bill all my time and then extra which of course means I don't get good raises, etc..... Lamesauce.

Archived