V30 / G11H 30 Mix and Converting Semi-Open 2x12 to Closed - 5153 50 Watt

Junk Yard Dog

• Members

So here's pics of my cab. It is NOT a real Dr. Z cab; someone made it and stuck the logo on it. HOWEVER, I tried this at GC last week against 4 2x12 cabs: Splawn, Egnater Tourmaster, Mesa, and Bogner OS. I {censored} you not, this cab outperformed all of them. It was crazy. I used the EVH head and kept the EQ the same with every cab. 2 other GC reps sat in the loud room and agreed that this cab sounded better than all 4 other cabs. Mind you, the TM has the Elite 80s, Mesa and Bogner had V30s, Splawn had Celestions G12H 30's.

This "Dr. Z" also has 2 Celestion G12H 30, which sounds great with the EVH, BUT, I think I want to mix the cab with a V30 on the bottom (it sounds great vertical) and either have a FULL back panel or a HALF back panel. Meaning, the bottom speaker could be closed to make it "fuller" and the top can be open to allow some of that 3D sound come out and fill the room.

Questions:

1) how do the V30's sound in a semi open back?

2) Would it make more sense to make a FULL back panel for the cab or would a HALF back panel work covering just one of the speakers?

3) Or a half back panel in the middle where the brace is and just have a smaller "vent" for both speakers? ...This idea I'm not sure would work.

photo3.jpgphoto2.jpg

Thanks!

• Members

Good question...

#1 - Versatility.

#2 - I like V30's, but probably not 2 V30's with this amp. I've heard V30s can sound too shrill and harsh and lack bass in open backs compared to when they're in closed backs.

#3 - I also was looking for a convertible cab when I found this one, so I would just like to see how I can best maximize the sound of the cab with this speaker mix, G12H 30/V30.

Any other thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

• Members

Word. Well, I hate V30s, so theres that...Id go with a Vet30 over a V30 EVERY SINGLE TIME, but not every one is the same. I prefer closed back cabs because of the tighter low end feel I get with them, typically speaking. Cant really speak to a V30 in a semi open back cab, since Ive never done it.

Are you planning on making the back panels yourself? If so, why not make a few different ones and see what happens...could be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Generally speaking, though, I wouldnt ever buy a V30 because they are too harsh for my personal taste.

Archived