axe set up

Mike LX-R

• Members

Why did I wait so long to properly set up my JS-1000? Ibanez ships these out with these stupid ass saddle shims that completely {censored} with radius and make playing the damn thing harder than it needed to be. I took them out finally, hallelujah. Intonated, nut-heighted, bridge heighted, pick-up heighted (pole piece to come), truss rodded, string treed, and tuned this bad boy over a three day process of much patience and paying attention. Amazing to learn how poorly intonated and unplayable it was while I was just too stupid and lazy to {censored}in' do it. Cheers! :thu:

• Members

So they put shims in that make the radius different from the board? WTF would that be about? Normally you shim to match the radius of the board. Most Ibanez guitars I've played stock have needed some extra shims to be radiused correctly. For some reason they tend to error on the side of "{censored} you, cocksucker. You bought it," when it comes to setup. Even my prestige needed some work to be right. I've never heard of them adding shims to a bridge that {censored} with the radius though. Either no shims, or way fewer shims than they need to get the proper radius at the bridge.

• Members

So they put shims in that make the radius different from the board? WTF would that be about? Normally you shim to match the radius of the board. Most Ibanez guitars I've played stock have needed some extra shims to be radiused correctly. For some reason they tend to error on the side of "{censored} you, cocksucker. You bought it," when it comes to setup. Even my prestige needed some work to be right. I've never heard of them adding shims to a bridge that {censored} with the radius though. Either no shims, or way fewer shims than they need to get the proper radius at the bridge.

Both of my Ibanez guitars are "Prestige" and neither were even mediocre-ly set up. Yes, it was radi-culous.

• Members

Yeah, it's pointless to set it up at the factory besides setting intonation and a ballpark action anyway. By the time it gets to a customer's hands the set up will be way off again. And each player has a different idea about what a good set up is. Every time I buy a guitar, whether it's brand new or used, I know the first thing I will have to do is a full set up. I like my action higher and my neck straighter than most people so even a good factory set up is way off for me.

• Members

it's been my experience that 9/10 the guitar will need a setup when you buy it no matter what. The other 1/10 the guitar may be set up correctly but not to your liking so it needs a set up anyway. Everytime I buy a guitar I factor in the price of a setup when I plan on buying it.

• Members

You may call it folly, or just the way it was supposed to be, but I maintained the intention of doing it myself and really learning my tastes in the process. It just took me longer do get around to it, research the different steps involved, lose some noob-fear. This process was a lot of fun and I'm sure I have a few more fine tuning tweaks to go.

• Members

Which brings us to the point. Do you do your own setups or what? When I began playing electric guitar I had no idea so I paid from 15 to 50 euros for "professional setup" and ...a lot of times wasn't even to my taste. Basically the guy that charged the less did the best job...incredible but true for my case. Slowly I began "copying" the things he did to my guitars and now I can do from simple setups to floyd the way I like them or to experiment. I don't even think it is that difficult anyway.

Archived