NOISY PALAMINO V-32 ... POTS OR TUBES?

lgc252

• Members

Hi all - as you may remember I haVe a (Crate) Palamino V-32 tube amp. I know these were a batch of not-so-hots that Guitar Center bought from Crate to self-endorse.

The amps are a BIT noisy and have less than great reverb -- but they can be clean and crunchy both.

QUESTION: I hear a hum from mine. No matter what guitar, cord or floor I'm on - I get a hum ... which goes away when I touch the pups, bridge or strings. When I footswitch to overdrive and turn the volume up - it gets louder and when I turn the volume down - it goes away. Same with the clean channel.

Is this as simple as cleaning / replacing the volume pots or may it be tube related? B-T-W what tubes should I replace ANYWAY to improve the sound of the amp>?

Thanks friends for your advice.

• Members

Not an amp expert but not sure how cleaning pots will improve amp hum. The usual suspects are tubes. I owned the combo for a few years and it went through tubes like no other amp. I'd get a fresh set and go from there. Is this a head or combo?

• Members

You say that the hum goes away when you touch anything metal on your guitar. If this is accurate, then it's functioning as it should. This is normal.

mine didn't have any hum and was nearly dead quiet.

• Members

mine didn't have any hum and was nearly dead quiet.

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure that your body is used as a ground if you're using traditional pickups (not EMG's). That's why all the parts of the guitar are grounded together, including the bridge. The reason the bridge is grounded is because it's assumed you will be touching it (either directly or indirectly).

• Members

It sounds like you have a grounding issue. Could be the amp, the guitar, the cable and/or the wall power.

If the hum remains after you unplug the guitar [that means take the cable out of the amp] then it's either the amp or the wall power. If the hum goes away, then you've got a wiring problem with your guitar.

Are you in a newer or older place? Reason I ask is when they were converting from 2 to 3 prong plugs some of the older places merely replaced the wall receptacles - they didn't actually provide a proper ground as that would mean ripping out walls etc. My building is like that and I've had to run a wire from my amps chassis to the radiator to get a clean ground [and make the noise go away].

If it's the amp you're looking at either tube or a dud capacitor. Pots won't cause a hum. Prolly a tube.

The V32 is from Crates Vintage Club series, which are all great amps. The last run of black ones from China had issues, but the MIA VC's, Crates and Palomino's were great tone for the money. Guitar Center had Crate repackage the VC/Crate's as Palomino's [with a few minor spec changes] and sold them exclusively. They're still nice amps.

• Members

QUESTION: I hear a hum from mine. No matter what guitar, cord or floor I'm on - I get a hum ...
which goes away when I touch the pups, bridge or strings
. When I footswitch to overdrive and turn the volume up - it gets louder and
when I turn the volume down - it goes away.
Same with the clean channel.

This sounds absolutely normal, to be honest.

Unless you have a guitar with active pickups, it will hum when your hands are off the strings and the volume is up. That's why guitars bridges are grounded.

It sounds completely normal. Just keep your hands on the strings when you have your volume up and turn the volume down when you're not playing.

• Members

This sounds absolutely normal, to be honest.

Unless you have a guitar with active pickups, it will hum when your hands are off the strings and the volume is up. That's why guitars bridges are grounded.

It sounds completely normal. Just keep your hands on the strings when you have your volume up and turn the volume down when you're not playing.

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Crate Palomino V8 (made in Vietnam) and the gain pot seemed to "go bad." It acted as if it was turned up to "10" even when it wasn't. If you tapped on the knob hard enough it would temporarily stop. I read on-line that others have experienced this problem as well. I ended up replacing all the pots, which resolved my problem.

Archived