NPD! MXR Custom BA Modified Overdrive...

colejustesen

• Members

So I snagged up one of these pedals to use with my Marshall hoping that I could achieve a bit more modern sounding distortion out of my JCM900 MkIII...

I can say that it in fact does this for me! The 100 Hz sweep and the "bump" button really make the sound modern and chunky. I am using this in combination with an MXR 6 band EQ in the loop and it brings the :rawk:

I was recommended the MXR Zakk Wylde OD, but I think this one is exactly what its name states Badass.

Not only does it sound great, it adds some bling to the pedal board!!!

20120630_094929.jpg

Has anyone else tried/own this bad boy?

Cole

• Members

Nice. {censored}ing LOVED that pedal (spent some time with it at GC with a 65 bandmaster and an LP junior)

Its gain structure reminds a bit like the OCD... kind of fuzzy/grainy, but with plenty of thump and harmonics!

I used to be about trying all these boutique pedals and having something on my board that most people have never seen/heard of, but anymore I find that I am more than content with using the mass produced stuff, especially MXR products.

If I were going to buy another OD pedal and wanted to fork a few $$$, I would look at getting an MI Audio Tube Zone... I would also at some point like to get/try a Keeley modified Boss SD-1...

Cole

• Members

Those pedals are very cool. They sound very close to the Green Rhino, in fact they are scary close. I played back and forth with the MXR and the Way Huge through a DSL for about an hour before I decided on the Rhino. I still want one of these also. The modded JVM has cured my amp gas, but now I am on a OD kick:facepalm: It never ends.

• Members

I had one for a week or two but I decided I like my Krankshaft pedal better. It is a tube screamer circuit but has the ability to tweak it to cool cleanish boost levels and more mild overdrives. Funny I tried this and the green rhino and much prefered the bad ass od.

• Members
The bad ass had more gain, but I like the thickness the Rhino added to single notes and lead tones.

Don't get me wrong the Rhino was a VERY close second and it looked cooler AND was on sale that week at GC for $100 so it was tough to turn down but the MXR just killed.

• Members

Don't get me wrong the Rhino was a VERY close second and it looked cooler AND was on sale that week at GC for $100 so it was tough to turn down but the MXR just killed.

That is a great price on the Green Rhino, I could understand being tempted... I would like to check one out on my board some day... But that will be a while for me, as I am dropping money into my newly acquired Fender Strat that was made in Japan in 1985... It has soooo much potential!

Cole

• Members

I would suggest at least checking one out
:rawk:

Cole

That's how I check out gear. I buy it at GC, take it home to check it out and if it sucks I take it back. If they complain I tell them to get something other than {censored} amps/cabs in their store for me to demo gear with.

It's unfortunate that the only half way decent amp they currently have is one or two American made Fender combo amps and a few Chinese Egnaters. WTF...

• Members

I would suggest at least checking one out
:rawk:

Cole

That's how I check out gear. I buy it at GC, take it home to check it out and if it sucks I take it back. If they complain I tell them to get something other than {censored} amps/cabs in their store for me to demo gear with.

It's unfortunate that the only half way decent amp they currently have is one or two American made Fender combo amps and a few Chinese Egnaters. WTF...

• Members

If you do snag one, I would love to hear your input on it... :thu:

Cole

• Members

If you do snag one, I would love to hear your input on it...
:thu:

Cole

Totally. I've been wanting to get the ZW overdrive but I've heard this'll do alot of the same tones.

I just want it for boosting the Jubilee.

• Members

Totally. I've been wanting to get the ZW overdrive but I've heard this'll do alot of the same tones.

I just want it for boosting the Jubilee.

Well the Jube and my amp sound similar... I have a feeling that it will work for you!

Cole

• Members

I guess it depends on the amp... It worked great for me
:idk:

Cole

yeah to be fair i really only messed with it to get a feel for the pedal

i could def see how the bump would work for people i just felt it kinda pushed an awkward frequency for my playing style!

• Members

yeah to be fair i really only messed with it to get a feel for the pedal

i could def see how the bump would work for people i just felt it kinda pushed an awkward frequency for my playing style!

I totally understand... One thing doesn't work for everyone :wave:

Cole

Archived