Dimarzio Crunchlab: Do any of you have experience with it?

Chrisjd

• Members

Do any of you have any experience with this pickup? How does it sound? What other pups would you compare it to?

Also, what would would you say it works best in? I am guessing since dimarzio works so close with ibanez it's probably a good basswood pickup?

• Members

I have one in the bridge of an HSS Strat. It's a great pickup in that guitar. It's got a good crunchy, growly, PAF type sound, but bigger and ballsier. Solid low end without being flubby and great clarity. I'm really happy with it.

• Members

I agree with that guy. ^^ I've heard a lot of people complain its to bassy and it can be of its not set a fair distance from the strings.. The bar magnet side has a huge magnetic pull.. And since its recommended to have the bar facing the neck, it can get bassy. But when I backed it down and found the right balance, it really opened up.. Has great crunch as the name implies.. In the end, its not for me, but it does a great modern kind of sound.. Its little "clinical"sounding.. Which I guess means, its pretty under control and isn't like a raw aggressive sound.. But I'd you are looking for crunch, this does what it says..

Btw, I'm selling a brand new one basically.. Try mine. ;-)

And from what I can tell from your clips, I do think you might like it.. With a proper height, its really tight on the lows, which works well for drop tuned galloping and fast picking on the low strings.. And it remains clear on the high end..

• Members

Yeah i dig it! I've only used the 7 string one, though, and i know Dimarzio usually voices their 6 string ones differently... but yeah, i love it. Listen to the new Dream Theater stuff (Dramatic Turn and Black Clouds), that's pretty much it! Great for soloing or rhythm.

• Members

I dig mine in my basswood Schecter. Was tricky to set the pickup height but it sounds huge. Crunchy, punchy, smooth in the high end... great harmonics and note clarity in chords, a hot pickup but not as hot as a JB or X2N or something, just enough!

It has a nice low mid growl in basswood... I imagine it is sick in mahogany too, but I'd flip the bar towards the bridge instead of the neck for this.

• Members

I got two Crunch Lab/LiquiFire sets from Spaced Out Ace for a maple (tuned to D standard, bar faces bidge) and an alder (tuned to standard, bar faces neck) bodied guitars.

I love it on the D standard one, it has this controlled amount of bass, mids and highs that's perfect for what I'm using it for.

On the standard tuning one, I'm still working with it (pickup height). I love the 4th position (5-way switch ala Strat) on it though.

• Members

One thing I want to mention, I've never had a pickup that leaps into harmonic feedback as easily as that one does. Plugged into my Egnater Renegade, I can touch any string anywhere and it will sustain and generate harmonic feedback all day long. It's ridiculous how well it does it.

• Members

One thing I want to mention, I've never had a pickup that leaps into harmonic feedback as easily as that one does. Plugged into my Egnater Renegade, I can touch any string anywhere and it will sustain and generate harmonic feedback all day long. It's ridiculous how well it does it.

Holy {censored}, I need to try this! Maybe I won't need to adjust the height after all! :lol:

• Members

Here is a fun clip I made with it.. JUST goofy rhythms and {censored}, but I really do think it captures the tone of the pickup.. It's crunchy, tight and has a certain openness that I really liked with it.. This was an all mahogany V with a rosewood fretboard and Floyd Rose

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/62-Funky%20lukewarm%20Medina.mp3

Thanks for sharing. I like your other clips more, tonewise and playing wise :lol:

Archived