5 way 2 pole rotary switch wiring for one humbucker... HELP!!!

Mr.E

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you've got the pick-up & the switch, why the hell don't you wire them up & see how bad you need all these options? :thu:

Do you have any idea how {censored}ty 2 outta phase coils sounds? Besides, when the drummer & the bass come in, nobody is going to hear your anemic tone anyway. You must have some monster system to facilitate exploiting all these fascinating wiring digressions. IMO, you'll have 10 times more usable variations by playing with your amp's tone controls.;) I already did the dumb {censored} for you!

You'll be handsomely rewarded by focusing on yer guitarskillz rather than wasting precious time sniffing molten solder & rosin my friend.

Have fun on the way,

NG.

• Members

King of the rotary mods here...

A two pole/five throw switch (like you say you have) can be wired to give you FOUR different tones from a four-conductor humbucker:

1 - north coil

2 - coils parallel

3 - coils in series

4 - south coil

No phase option; the fifth throw could just duplicate one of the tones, or be a "mute" position as suggest by Sporky, above. And, you can put the tones in any order you like.

A three pole/four throw rotary could be wired to give you any (pick three) of the above plus an out of phase combo, either series or parallel (I would recommend the series/out of phase). But, you have to pick just four tones total out of the six posible.

Stewmac, GuitarElectronics and others sell a four pole/five throw and a four pole/six throw rotary that could be wired to give you any five or all six of the six possible combinations of two coils (or pickups):

1 - north coil

2 - south coil

3 - coils parallel

4 - coils parallel/out of phase

5 - coils in series

6 - coils in series/out of phase

Again, in any order you like. I've actually drawn up the six-way deal for a customer/friend of mine.

PM me, and I can draw any one of these ideas up for you, but I don't want to waste everybody's time (OK, MY time) drawing and posting them all...

Archived