Guitar tech hunt (UK)

satannica

• Members

What is it you need done?

If it's major work I'd strongly recommend Feline Guitars. Croydon is a bit of a drive to get to but the work they do is well worth the travel.

I just got my Strat back from them after having them take the fretboard radius down to 12", refret with 6000 fretwire, new nut and new locking tuners. Top notch work and great guys.

If it's just a set up or little fiddly things then yeah, Barrie at Giggear.

• Members

I've heard nothing but great things about both Barry Palmer and the guy at Feline Guitars, although I have no experience with either as I do most of my work myself unless its something major.

I've taken 2 guitars into GAK in Brighton before and both times they've come back with a nice new scratch/dent so I wouldn't recommend them...

• Members

The last two times I used giggear, I've not been very impressed. The setup on my V was a bit, well, put it this way, it was better when it went in than when it came out. In fact, I'd swear they put new strings on and sent it right back out. The nut wasn't even trimmed to accommodate the gauge. It was in E standard, I asked for a setup for C standard... I reckon my misses could have done a better job. Buzz buzz buzz.

My strat is a write off after them. Not totally their fault, but its unplayable. It went in for a dented fret. I was told that the fret needed replacing and a fret level was needed... Except now the frets are so astronomically flat, it's difficult to even get a straight G chord out of it. So yea, I'm put off giggear... Not sure if that's Barrie's work or not. But either way, not good. Not sure whether to put money into a refret, or to just part it on eBay as its only a MIM, and get a fancy strat later on.

Anyways, what I need done. A new nut cut for my ESP and the buzz sorting, and my Jackson Stealth needs a look at as it seems it's developed a nasty cracking sound from the neck joint and I don't think I can tighten those neck screws down anymore. Would rather a good tech looked at it.

How expensive were Feline in comparison? Happy to drive for good work.

• Members

I have used tcj tech for years.he used to do all of coda music tech work and always set my guitars up exactly how I asked. BUT last time I had two electric and one acoustic and a bass setup and it was terrible! I swore by him before but now, dunno.

Here's his link anyway http://www.tjcguitars.com/

Apparently coda now use their own guy now and he may be the guy who setup my guitars time before last, cost me a lot but it was a stunning job!

Stay away from machine head in hitchin ;-)

• Members

I have used tcj tech for years.he used to do all of coda music tech work and always set my guitars up exactly how I asked. BUT last time I had two electric and one acoustic and a bass setup and it was terrible! I swore by him before but now, dunno.

Here's his link anyway

Apparently coda now use their own guy now and he may be the guy who setup my guitars time before last, cost me a lot but it was a stunning job!

Stay away from machine head in hitchin ;-)

I've used TJC before too... First and last time. His wiring was a frigging joke! Surely all techs know you don't ground EMGs by now? Not that the solder joint actually stayed connected...

• Members

I've used TJC before too... First and last time. His wiring was a frigging joke! Surely all techs know you don't ground EMGs by now? Not that the solder joint actually stayed connected...

Yeah I asked him to put a bone nut on my les Paul copy and when I picked it up he said it didn't need it. But every string buzzed on the first fret!

Dunno what happened to him, he used to be brilliant.

• Members

Yeah I asked him to put a bone nut on my les Paul copy and when I picked it up he said it didn't need it. But every string buzzed on the first fret!

Dunno what happened to him, he used to be brilliant.

It's weird. My friend had a Les Paul Custom set up by him and it was great. Sadly, that's the only guitar I've held he's touched that I can say that about - all the others were either still bad, or worse than when they went in!

• Members

Can you elaborate? Primarily as I'm about to make a call tomorrow to em... What did you have done and what was wrong?

They installed an Earvana nut and bkp pickups in my les paul. There was a scuff on the headstock from the nut repair which I wasn't told about and the pickups weren't wired in properly, I had to get my iron out and sort them out

Then I had a lite ash strat that was very buzzy and had high action, after a full set up, fret dress and new nut which cost me around

• Members

I used Feline a while back to sort out a knackered floyd rose and he seemed pretty good. This was a good few years ago though

Another option is Wild Guitars up near Highgate tube station - he seems to specialize in vintage gear and always has something intriguing on his workbench. Might be worth a try if you're more towards the north of the city? I've used him for bits 'n' pieces in the past and seems to know his stuff.

• Members

Hmmm - still nothing concrete in this department... The UK is seriously lacking some decent technicians it seems.

Well if southend is too far there are a few in London. The problem with Techs is it does not pay a good wage, and most people are learning how to do it themselves.

• Members

Hmmm - still nothing concrete in this department... The UK is seriously lacking some decent technicians it seems.

You might try calling Marshall in Milton Keynes (I think) and ask them if they'd have any recommendations....

-D44

• Members

Well if southend is too far there are a few in London. The problem with Techs is it does not pay a good wage, and most people are learning how to do it themselves.

Southend isn't too far.

Have you used the bloke at Strings Direct?

• Members

Southend isn't too far.

Have you used the bloke at Strings Direct?

Yes I got my white strat set up by him.

You need to tell him what you want, he will ask you to play it after the set up, if you don't like it he will change it.

He will even ask if you want new strings before he charges you. If you don't then he will use the old ones.

From the website, and he is not bad to deal with

Is your guitar in need of some TLC? Come and see our Guitar Tech Chris, with over 25 years experience including 20 years at the Bass Centre he'll be sure to revive your axe! Chris has done work for the likes of The Who, Queen, Jamiroquai, Radiohead, Simply Red, Madness, Pink Floyd, The Blockheads, Bad Company, Elvis Costello, the Jools Holland Band and many more! & has experience with Resonator repairs.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/pages/repairs

Check out the store as well they have some great deals on pedals and boutique stuff sometimes.

• Members

We live in Bishops Stortford and have used Playsomething to have my guitars setup and serviced. They've used one tech guy for the last few years based in Ware. I gave him my Tokai Les Paul for a setup as a test which came back great and then I gave him my Gibbo Les Paul and got it back perfect and after all that gave him my Tokai again to fit a Fishman Powerbridge. He did a great job all three times. No new scratches/dings, etc. although I did make a point of telling him that these are my prized possessions. I've been very happy with his work.

Archived