Average intelligence of bicycle riders (rant)

satannica

• Members

LOL....calling me the idiot when you clearly cannot read.

First off I had already TOLD you that bikers can be jackasses. Go back and see for yourself (if you care, but you don't).

Secondly, I was asking for more courtesy from motorists for EACH OTHER in general.

But whatever...here's me with no {censored} to give about what you think.

yet a bitch post is appropriate anyway

stifle up edith

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread still going eh>?

I had to adjust to my new car. It's a Prius C and some of the time it runs on battery and is silent. I had a green arrow to turn right, so I went around the corner and some dude on a bike almost hit me crossing the street weaving through traffic.

I put my hand up thinking he didnt hear me and he gives me rage face but I'm driving away. The dude chases me on his bike (it was one of those ones with the little engines) and my street was only a block away. I didnt even know he was chasing me until I got out of the car.

I am about the same size as my car, so when I poured myself out of it and looked at him...he went white. Haha. When keepin it real goes wrong. The rage changed real quick and he:

3204840swsw.gif

I was a bit worried that he knew where I lived and would key my car etc but it never happened. Spin Doctor singer looking mother {censored}er, haha.

haha!

'when keepin it real goes wrong'

• Members

Just got back from a 44 mile ride and had no trouble with motorists. Ive ridden 1625 miles since May 1st and had no trouble. Looks like most people in my area are more tolerant of cyclists than other parts of the country.

perhaps cyclists there are also more considerate than the zombies out here

• Members

LOL What kills me is the {censored}ing assholes that put on the spandex and helmets and sunglasses and rock 10speeds, BUT RIDE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHEN THERE IS A {censored}ING SIDEWALK 2 FEET AWAY THAT IS PARALELL TO THE ROAD. GODDAMN THIS PISSES ME OFF. Everytime I pass cyclists donig this I roll down my window and "politely remind them" that there is a {censored}ing sidewalk (i.e. "There's a {censored}ING sidewalk RIGHT {censored}ING THERE, ASSHOLE!!!!"

• Members

LOL What kills me is the {censored}ing assholes that put on the spandex and helmets and sunglasses and rock 10speeds, BUT RIDE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WHEN THERE IS A {censored}ING SIDEWALK 2 FEET AWAY THAT IS PARALELL TO THE ROAD. GODDAMN THIS PISSES ME OFF. Everytime I pass cyclists donig this I roll down my window and "politely remind them" that there is a {censored}ing sidewalk (i.e. "There's a {censored}ING sidewalk RIGHT {censored}ING THERE, ASSHOLE!!!!"

I've known you are a {censored}ing tard for a long time, but allow me to point something out to you.

Sidewalks, allow me to highlight the word "walks," sideWALKS, are for pedestrian, that is foot, traffic.

In many locales its actually illegal for bikes to go on them.

Not everywhere, but many places.

They are for foot traffic (and apparently the world changing Segway if you'd believe the hype from 2001). They are NOT for bikes because in case you haven't noticed, PEOPLE ARE WALKING ON THEM YOU MORON!

Bikes, in most states, not counting the great shame, er state, of Arkansas, are considered vehicles, hence, they belong where vehicles are, on the road. Unless you're a crazy old driver running over people on the sidewalk.

• Members

No,no,no. You want every person who rides a bike to get hit by a car then tell them to ride on the sidewalk. Statistically far more dangerous than the road because the cyclist is not as visible. Its more convenient for motorists to have bikes on the sidewalk buts it is not safer. You might be inconvenienced by the healthy guy in his spandex ( that serve a purpose..to keep cool and not get caught in the chain) and cuss him all you like but if you can see him then he is safe. Ever wonder why cyclists rock those neon shirts ? Yes, so YOU can see him and not run him over.

No cyclist wants to be hit by a car. You aren't going to win that fight as a cyclist. Also, these asshole cyclists also drive cars and hate being inconvenienced as much as you. I drive a car and hate being slowed down by car accidents, construction etc but I dont stick my head out the car window and show my ignorance just because someone is inconvenient to my commute.

Your opinion is very strong, very common and very incorrect. You could not be more incorrect. I dont care if you hate cyclists. Thats your problem but at least get your {censored} straight first.

• Members

No,no,no. You want every person who rides a bike to get hit by a car then tell them to ride on the sidewalk. Statistically far more dangerous than the road because the cyclist is not as visible. Its more convenient for motorists to have bikes on the sidewalk buts it is not safer. You might be inconvenienced by the healthy guy in his spandex ( that serve a purpose..to keep cool and not get caught in the chain) and cuss him all you like but if you can see him then he is safe. Ever wonder why cyclists rock those neon shirts ? Yes, so YOU can see him and not run him over.

No cyclist wants to be hit by a car. You aren't going to win that fight as a cyclist. Also, these asshole cyclists also drive cars and hate being inconvenienced as much as you. I drive a car and hate being slowed down by car accidents, construction etc but I dont stick my head out the car window and show my ignorance just because someone is inconvenient to my commute.

Your opinion is very strong, very common and very incorrect. You could not be more incorrect. I dont care if you hate cyclists. Thats your problem but at least get your {censored} straight first.

You were kinder than me.

I heard my bro, my literal little brother, get hit by a car. He was rocking a BRIGHT NEON GREEN jersey. The thing was visible from 1/4 mile away. He was riding about 50' behind me within 1' of the white line on a back road.

This lady in her late 50s early 60s driving a, thank GOD, late 90s Taurus with a lower front end, hit him from behind. I heard the sound, panic hit me as I thought "OMG I just heard my little brother die!" I slammed on my brakes and jumped off my bike sprinting as fast as I could in my biking shoes to where he was lying on the asphalt.

She crashed into a fence on the opposite side of the road.

I got to him, he was ok, except for a little bone broken in his ankle, lots of abrasions and scrapes and pain. I was so relieved. Then me and him both walked over to the lady who we thought was having a heart attack. The ambulance, when it showed up, checked my brother out quickly, then focused their attentions on the lady who eventually was taken to the hospital for observation. She was fine though.

It was horrible. I've been so blessed/lucky that I've never had a major accident that wasn't my own damn fault (last time using areo bars in a group/ever :facepalm: me. thankfully i didn't take anyone down with me)

• Members

You were kinder than me.

I heard my bro, my literal little brother, get hit by a car. He was rocking a BRIGHT NEON GREEN jersey. The thing was visible from 1/4 mile away. He was riding about 50' behind me within 1' of the white line on a back road.

This lady in her late 50s early 60s driving a, thank GOD, late 90s Taurus with a lower front end, hit him from behind. I heard the sound, panic hit me as I thought "OMG I just heard my little brother die!" I slammed on my brakes and jumped off my bike sprinting as fast as I could in my biking shoes to where he was lying on the asphalt.

She crashed into a fence on the opposite side of the road.

I got to him, he was ok, except for a little bone broken in his ankle, lots of abrasions and scrapes and pain. I was so relieved. Then me and him both walked over to the lady who we thought was having a heart attack. The ambulance, when it showed up, checked my brother out quickly, then focused their attentions on the lady who eventually was taken to the hospital for observation. She was fine though.

It was horrible. I've been so blessed/lucky that I've never had a major accident that wasn't my own damn fault (last time using areo bars in a group/ever
:facepalm:
me. thankfully i didn't take anyone down with me)

Been there Ovid. I alluded to it earlier but my kids got hit while I was pulling them in a carrier. We were riding on the SIDEWALK and some poor soul rolled through a red light and I watched in horror as my 3 and 4 year old got it. Luckily there were no serious injuries but I realized that bike carriers were a real bad idea and that riding the sidewalk is a horrid idea.

The guy that hit us was a cyclists. I could see the agony in his face. He was in his late forties and his kid was in the backseat. He did not mean to hit us. He just could not see us because I made such a bad decision to ride the sidewalk where I thought my kids were safer.

I sold the bike carrier the next week.

• Members

Been there Ovid. I alluded to it earlier but my kids got hit while I was pulling them in a carrier. We were riding on the SIDEWALK and some poor soul rolled through a red light and I watched in horror as my 3 and 4 year old got it. Luckily there were no serious injuries but I realized that bike carriers were a real bad idea and that riding the sidewalk is a horrid idea.

The guy that hit us was a cyclists. I could see the agony in his face. He was in his late forties and his kid was in the backseat. He did not mean to hit us. He just could not see us because I made such a bad decision to ride the sidewalk where I thought my kids were safer.

I sold the bike carrier the next week.

HOLY {censored}!

Dude, I'm so glad your kids were ok. I honestly cannot imagine what you felt. I know what I felt at my brother, whom I love dearly, but its still not the same as little kids. Wow. SO glad they were ok!

Funny story to break up the scary: A friend of mine, about 14-15 years old than me that I rode with used to have one of those tagalong things where the kids pedaled. His kids were little beasts and would drive him nuts because they didn't understand the concept of coasting or braking. They'd just pedal on mile after mile until he'd yell at them "I'm trying to stop at this stopsign" or "We're going downhill cut it out!" :lol:

Damn, I gotta go for a ride tomorrow. I have no excuse to be as freaking lazy as I am. Giving advice to a guy at work on bikes while not having ridden mine in over a month = fail. :facepalm:

• Members

it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in a lot of instances.

sounds like your problem is with their outfit.

• Members

Wow. A lot of really arrogant mother{censored}ers in this thread. Especially Sattanica.

He seems like the kind of person who complains about his ice cream being too cold.

Just calm the {censored} down dude. You almost hit a cyclist but you didn't. Everything is just fine.

People that LEAVE THEIR HOUSES need to be more aware of their surroundings. Whether pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, driver, boater, jet skier, pilot, ship captain.

/rant.

If you read the OP, the cyclist nearly caused the accident. What pissed me off was his attitude after it and, subsequently, in work!

Anyone who knows anything about Cambridge knows that bicycles are there in droves. Therefore more caution is required when driving through it, it's just accepted. And as far as I know, everyone heeds to this. However, cyclists also know this and just, frankly, take the piss. They do {censored} that's downright dangerous and then are all victimised when bad {censored} actually happens. And it's always the drivers' fault!

'Scuse me for having no option but to drive to work. I guess you have "no option" but to "cycle" to work too, right?

• Members

it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in a lot of instances.

sounds like your problem is with their outfit.

I'd just like to clarify (as a cyclist myself - and as I just got back from a ride to the gym) I don't think bikes should be on the sidewalk (pavement). I totally get that it's equally as dangerous. As a car driver, I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists. My main beef is cyclists electing to:

a) not use a cycle path when there is clearly one available, especially along busy stretches of roads or fast moving traffic. That's just {censored}ing dangerous and should earn the cyclist at least a police caution followed by seisure of the bicycle. If you INSIST on being on those stretches of road, buy a {censored}ing car!

b) Travel on roads where there is no cycle path - of course use the road, I have zero problem with that - but extend the same courtesy to other road users that you expect from them. How is that so difficult? Surely you must realise that a bike is slower than a motor vehicle, so expect cars to want to overtake you (get the feck out of the way) and stick to the left side of the road (right for you yanks)... How is this complicated? Am I missing something? I clearly am as a horrible nasty mobile-phone using drunk-driving, child killing, planet murdering car owner... right?

Running red lights, going the wrong way around roundabouts, riding three-abreast when cars are TRYING to get by, and acting like assholes is NOT acceptable. Even when I cycle, which is my main mode of transportation at evenings and weekends, I see other cyclists misbehaving and, frankly, deserving to get their skulls mashed in!

• Members

I'd just like to clarify (as a cyclist myself - and as I just got back from a ride to the gym) I don't think bikes should be on the sidewalk (pavement). I totally get that it's equally as dangerous. As a car driver, I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists. My main beef is cyclists electing to:

a) not use a cycle path when there is clearly one available, especially along busy stretches of roads or fast moving traffic. That's just {censored}ing dangerous and should earn the cyclist at least a police caution followed by seisure of the bicycle. If you INSIST on being on those stretches of road, buy a {censored}ing car!

b) Travel on roads where there is no cycle path - of course use the road, I have zero problem with that - but extend the same courtesy to other road users that you expect from them. How is that so difficult? Surely you must realise that a bike is slower than a motor vehicle, so expect cars to want to overtake you (get the feck out of the way) and stick to the left side of the road (right for you yanks)... How is this complicated? Am I missing something? I clearly am as a horrible nasty mobile-phone using drunk-driving, child killing, planet murdering car owner... right?

Running red lights, going the wrong way around roundabouts, riding three-abreast when cars are TRYING to get by, and acting like assholes is NOT acceptable. Even when I cycle, which is my main mode of transportation at evenings and weekends, I see other cyclists misbehaving and, frankly, deserving to get their skulls mashed in!

i agree with you on most counts, absolutely. i agree cyclists need to be responsible for their own safety AND for motorists, absolutely. i agree that if given bike lanes, you ought to use them. and i agree that you just shouldn't act like an asshole, ever. but i still disagree that there's any roadways that should be off limits to cyclists except for high walled, bermless roadways like highways and interstates (i.e. m roads for you). thats pure car territory .

bike seizure? no. never, under any circumstances. nobody takes cars unless you're drunk, and completely reckless. there's no reason for the state to take your property unless you're expecting a lot of motorists to lose their cars as well.

any way it goes, this conversation is totally circular. don't be a dickbag, and know the laws: simple as that. that's really all it comes down to.

• Members

I have been a cyclist, and have dated a cyclist, I have a respect on the road for cyclists, but here in the states they are subject to all of the laws that motor vehicles are subject to when it comes to traffic demeanor. If they cut someone off, they probably get hit and killed, and it is their fault, at least in this area, which keeps them fairly honest and smart (though there are exceptions).

I give them space, I pass them when appropriate, I wave to them usually because I have a large "Trek Bicycles" bumper sticker and they get the idea.

Yeah it can be annoying on roads with a speed limit higher than 45mph, but it's just something that we have to deal with A LOT of times in this area because it is mostly back country roads that are very popular bike trails.

I did pass a certain asshole who kicked my car with his bike shoes (they have metal rods in the bottom to help keep them in the pedals). This pissed me off as my car was brand new, so they got a few eggs tossed back at them from the sunroof seeing as how my friend and I were just coming back from the grocery store.

• Members

You are everything that is wrong with our country. I'd call you retarded, but lumping you in with people who actually have mental disabilities would be cruel to them.

• Members

i agree with you on most counts, absolutely. i agree cyclists need to be responsible for their own safety AND for motorists, absolutely. i agree that if given bike lanes, you ought to use them. and i agree that you just shouldn't act like an asshole, ever. but i still disagree that there's any roadways that should be off limits to cyclists except for high walled, bermless roadways like highways and interstates (i.e. m roads for you). thats pure car territory .

bike seizure? no. never, under any circumstances. nobody takes
cars
unless you're drunk, and completely reckless. there's no reason for the state to take your property unless you're expecting a lot of motorists to lose their cars as well.

any way it goes, this conversation is totally circular. don't be a dickbag, and know the laws: simple as that. that's really all it comes down to.

We see pretty much eye to eye :thu: if only all road users could think like this.

Actually, in the uk, if you're driving without insurance, tax or MOT, the cop will seize your car on the spot. You can get it back, after paying towing, impound and admin costs, plus whatever penalty and license points you get dealt.

I got my car seized for no insurance a few years ago. My insurance company failed to update my number plate when I got my personal plate changed over. I did get the car back and got no reprimand as the company confirmed I was insured, but I still had to pay towing and pound costs. I got a raw deal, but I'm still happy that cops seize cars that aren't road legal.

IMO, I think it's perfectly acceptable to impose a similar regime to enforce road laws on cyclists.

• Members

I did pass a certain asshole who kicked my car with his bike shoes (they have metal rods in the bottom to help keep them in the pedals). This pissed me off as my car was brand new, so they got a few eggs tossed back at them from the sunroof seeing as how my friend and I were just coming back from the grocery store.

Lol... That needed to be on YouTube!

• Members

who else are all the bike dicks gonna {censored} with?

I like to harass roadkill and yell {censored} at them . " you {censored}ing dead raccoon you are blocking up my bike path ! I hope you choke you dead dumb vermin.... "

{censored}....i think missed my meds since last week......DIe Dead Raccoon Die !!!!!!

• Members

I like to harass roadkill and yell {censored} at them . " you {censored}ing dead raccoon you are blocking up my bike path ! I hope you choke you dead dumb vermin.... "

{censored}....i think missed my meds since last week......DIe Dead Raccoon Die !!!!!!

Got a dead MO condor out on our road, I could call 'em that -- 'goddamn CONDORS!! CARRION EATERS!!'

Used to like racoons, till they got into the birdseed. Now I regard them several rungs below bikers.

Went into town twice today, not one hassle from a cyclist...also not one on the road:D:p:p;)

But asshole drivers?? OH YEAH WE GOT THOSE!!

and I do most freely admit, HESITANT DRIVERS are a big part of the problem, whether cyclists are involved or not.

I scream at drivers ever 50 feet of so. maybe 1 in 150-200 drives properly.

Makes me feel like a freaking alien from Andromeda to be out there obeying traffic laws.

So bikers, on that, total sympatico.

drivers suck

I'd rather try to drive with blind people in the cars, I wager less accidents then

Chelios out

Archived