I wanna' set my Floyd rose tom anderson up for c standard

Warhorse

• Members

i'll probably have someone else do it cause i don't do truss rods. i want to start playing post metal so i need to tune low. any advice about this? i don't want to {censored} my guitar up.
:confused:

Not that difficult to be honest.

Change the strings to the desired gauge and tune up

Adjust the Floyd angle

Sight your neck to check for required adjustment

The only time consuming part about this entire process is, IME, the truss rod adjustments.

• Members

Not that difficult to be honest.

Change the strings to the desired gauge and tune up

Adjust the Floyd angle

Sight your neck to check for required adjustment

The only time consuming part about this entire process is, IME, the truss rod adjustments.

i'm just concerned about the neck, the difference in tension could potentially through things off and then there is intonation. Floyd's are weird.

You think going from E flat tuning to C standard should be something pretty easy to do?

• Members

i'm just concerned about the neck, the difference in tension could potentially through things off and then there is intonation. Floyd's are weird.

You think going from E flat tuning to C standard should be something pretty easy to do?

Yeah I forgot about intonation but that's easy to do.

EB to C is just 1 1/2 steps down. Not that big a deal to be honest.

What gauge are you using for Eb and what gauge do you want to use for C?

• Members

right now i'm using 10's but i'll go to 12's so it won't be all slack.

That sounds about right. When I used to tune to D, I used 11's and it felt like 10's in Eb.

Seriously dude, it's not difficult at all to do. Just remember, a little goes a long way with the truss rod. I don't know the exact measurement but by minor adjustment I mean like going from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock.

Righty tighty = less relief or less bow

Lefty loosey = more relief or more bow

After you make an adjustment, give it a while for the neck to settle before making any further adjustments.

• Members

Thanks NBB!, maybe i can save myself a few bucks and do it myself. i appreciate the advice.

No problem dude :)

But hey, if you're still not comfortable doing it yourself, then by all means take it to a tech and hopefully the tech won't mind sharing a tip or two with you along the way :)

I don't know about you but I learn better when someone shows me.

• Members

I have a '97 Ibanez RG which I retrofitted an Original Floyd Rose on and went from E standard (9-42s) to C# standard (new Ernie Ball coated Beefy Slinky 11-54s) with minimal adjustments (I only had to work a bit on OFR's base plate planeity and on intonation). No truss rod adjustments needed.

• Members

Two things!

Ensure the string tension is completely slacked off when adjusting either the truss rod or the height of the floyd bridge.

And

Do your measuring, testing and tuning with the guitar in the playing position. The weight of the neck will throw you off every time! Ie when checking intonation, measuring string heights, etc, the guitar needs to be as if you were about to play it!

Don't forget to pick up some extra springs for the back of the floyd cavity. You will most likely need to add one.

Archived