HNMD!!! (Happy New Monitors Day)

DarkIntension

• Members

So after waiting my entire life, I have finally pulled the trigger on some monitors for the first time ever! I wanted to wait for the right deal and get some that had some awesome reviews. So without further ado, here are my new babies!

IMG_0875.jpg

Here are the BM5A's with the whole setup.

IMG_0873.jpg

Looking forward to putting together some decent mixes. Unfortunately, I forgot I would need the XLR-TRS cables and have yet to hear them after buying them. :facepalm:

Any recommendations on cables? I'm looking at either the Monster Studiolink Balanced Interconnects or the Pro Co Ameriquads (looks like I would be able to use them since they are balanced). The Ameriquads have Neutriks which intrigued me.

Thoughts?

• Members

Elevate the mon's and angle them just skimming your ear. Worry more about acoustic treatments than cables. For those short of cable runs, any decent brand (Hosa, Pro Co etc) will be fine.

Thanks! What would be suitable to elevate them? Anything fine as long as they're on top of the acoustic pads?

I appreciate the help. This is my first time using monitors.

• Members

Auralex is alright, but you can do MUCH better by building 2" acoustic panels. It's basically a frame that's 2" deep and filled with rock wool and then covered in fabric. You can make them any width and height you want (I prefer 4 feet tall by 2 feet wide).

• Members

the basic's is that you want some to stop the first reflections on the side wall, you can find the position for this by sliding a mirror along the wall until the monitor speaker can be seen in the reflection. You'd need something for the wall directly behind you, such as a diffuser panel and then bass traps for the corners. That's the basics but for now i think you could get away with two panels on the side walls and something to stop it reflecting off the wall behind you, even an old mattress or heavy curtains is better than nothing for the time being.

Also, if its not already, move your desk back from the wall a bit so your monitors are right up against it and move the desk more to the middle of the room rather than in a corner, if that makes sense. There's a lot of good books out there that can help you too.

• Members

Auralex is alright, but you can do MUCH better by building 2" acoustic panels. It's basically a frame that's 2" deep and filled with rock wool and then covered in fabric. You can make them any width and height you want (I prefer 4 feet tall by 2 feet wide).

Cool! What type/size of wood should I use? Home depot?

Thanks again! You guys are being extremely helpful. I'm pretty handy with tools so a lot of this won't be a problem.

• Members

RoomTreatmentpt2.jpg

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out the best spots to put what in? :)

I can do the handy work such as building the bass traps no problem, but room treatment is not my area of expertise. Where would be the proper places to put what? I heard bass traps will be best in the corner. Hopefully my crappy picture helps. I got every dimension I could out of the room except for height which is 8ft.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Just looking to make a room suitable for some solid acoustic recordings which I'm sure the treatment would help out immensely as well. I'm sure this is no million dollar solution but would like to get the best out of my room that I can. I have access to a lot of wood and people that work with it so resources for that shouldn't be a problem. THANKS!

• Members

Ideally you should be aiming to be firing down the length of the room (which you currently are), with an equal distance between each of your two ears and the walls on either side. I would move the desk to the opposite wall (where the drawers and bed are), and place the desk in the middle of that wall. Have the speakers set up so that they are two angles of a triangles, and your head is the third. You can put treatment then on the two walls to the left and right of the monitors, approximately half way between the monitors and your hand.

If you check out this link, it'll all be explained a lot better, worth reading about the 38% rule as well

http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Archived