Question for amp tech gurus...

jrcorp

• Members

Considering buying this 5E3 build locally at a good price but a decent drive for me. Based on this picture, what do you think? I guess my main concern is the quality of components I'm paying for... higher-end, or more towards the Chinese Weber So Watt? variety. I plan on trying a Cannabis Rex out too. Not a fan of the tolex but it seems like a deal.

5Nc5Gd5J23Ga3I63J6c872cee373991cd199f.jp

• Members

Whats up with the tubes? The power amp tubes look like they are completely different models and one of the preamp tubes looks cloudy. If this is the case I would factor in all new tubes and be very suspicious of the rest of the amp.

• Members

Whats up with the tubes? The power amp tubes look like they are completely different models and one of the preamp tubes looks cloudy. If this is the case I would factor in all new tubes and be very suspicious of the rest of the amp.

Hardly anything to go by in the quality department.. test tubes are test tubes (known goods)

As for the quality of the build, it looks somewhat clean in some places, a bit less so in other places, overall I'd have to take a closer look at the work.

• Members

Good point on the power tubes, that's a glaring issue. I wish I could see the trannies too but this is the only picture he has posted showing guts. I'll have to ask him for more. He's communicated well, and I would rather save myself the time and potentially money. I figure trying it out will be a good test too, but author having experience with 5E3's firsthand I'm afraid I'll miss everything.

I will say that I think the price is good enough to allow for even good NOS glass and remain fair. Thanks for the tips! It's not essential now, but any ideas of what to look/listen for in pictures or in person? I'll have to go listen to some more clips.

• Members

V2 looks like a GE 12A*7 with the lettering rubbing off. If I had to guess, I'd say that those are already NOS tubes in it. The 6V6's probably are different manufacturer. That wouldn't really phase me. It looks like 1/4W carbon comp resistors used throughout. The coupling caps look like audiophile-grade film caps. You can see the 1 yellow Mallory 150 on the tone stack. The electrolytics aren't bottom-of-the-barrel... probably Mallory's also or Sprague.

The only thing that really bothers me is the rats nest on the power supply. It's far enough away from the signal path that it shouldn't induce much/any hum. However, any repairs in that section would be bloody annoying.

• Members

V2 looks like a GE 12A*7 with the lettering rubbing off. If I had to guess, I'd say that those are already NOS tubes in it. The 6V6's probably are different manufacturer.

This. It might sound better with a 5Y3 rectifier, rather than the OS 5U4GB in there.

Looks messy around the PT, but otherwise fine. Carbon comp resistors - not my choice, but some folks pay extra for that noisy mojo.

• Members

You never mentioned price so I can't really offer an opinion if it's a good deal or not.

I'm trying to avoid mentioning price until I either buy or miss out on the amp. But I will say that I couldn't source quality parts to put a 5E3 myself for the asking price, and I've looked into it. At this point, I'm hoping I don't miss.

Archived