Questions about a GT100/HD500 through the loop of an amp and midi control

LeftyCatton

• Members

Ok so I've just got a Randall V2 head and 4x12 XL cab...and it is utterly bad ass!! Crushing metal tone that I love to bits!

I'm looking to take advantage of the midi features with an effects unit. All I want is to be able to add some reverbs, chorus and delays to the amps sounds. I do not need any overdrives or distortions as the V2 can handle those sounds already. I do need a decent noise gate built in however to tame the drive channel.

Could I use a multi effects unit like the boss Gt100 , line 6 hd500 or rocktron g300 connected using only 2 cables to and from the amps effects loop? This would then free up the effects units own loop, which I could put my ISP decimator in if the built in noise gates weren't up to the job.

I could then control the entire rig via midi had have say patch one with the clean channel, reverb and a little chorus, then patch two the drive channel with either the noise gate or the loop engaged to use the ISP right?

Many thanks for your help!

• Members

I agree, 4CM is the way to go. I did this for years with my Boss GT-8 and Laney TT50 head. The Laney has midi built in and just by running a midi cable from the GT-8 to the head and pressing "Learn" as soon as I was content with the sound I was all done. Dead simple.

Sure, the 4CM means running several cables between the amp and multi effects unit, but it is sooo worth it. Just remember to program the loop in your modeller as well.

Archived