Bridge Pickup for SG - a new thread lol

guitarbilly74

• Members

I know I started a thread about this when I bought the SG-X and I ended up getting the DiMarzio Super Distortion and that was a GREAT choice for that guitar. So thanks :)

But I am buying another SG (Special) today and I want this one to be a bit different, more of a classic, mid-output tone to counter the hot pickup on the SG-X.

I am just looking for a bridge pickup, the stock neck pickup is probably fine, even because I never cared that much about neck pickups anyway :lol:

So yeah, gimme some suggestions...

Billy

• Members

Mine has a Gibson 498 in it and I think it's nice.

I think the Special comes with the 490, which I remember not liking as much as the 498. But I will give the stock pickup a chance before I replace it. I wish the Special came with the 498 though, it's a killer pickup.

• Members

I think the Special comes with the 490, which I remember not liking as much as the 498. But I will give the stock pickup a chance before I replace it. I wish the Special came with the 498 though, it's a killer pickup.

I've never played a guitar with a 490, but I hear they're pretty {censored}ty. I really like this 498 though, I picked up a 500T in anticipation of swapping it, but I haven't done it yet. I might end up selling the 500t!

• Members

I've never played a guitar with a 490, but I hear they're pretty {censored}ty. I really like this 498 though, I picked up a 500T in anticipation of swapping it, but I haven't done it yet. I might end up selling the 500t!

The 500T is what originally came in my SG-X. I love that pickup on V's, Explorers and LPs but on the SG the top end was a bit too harsh so I traded it for the Super Distortion, it did a great job fattening up that guitar.

Anyway, I wouldn't swap your 498 with a 500 on a SG, no way.

Archived