Tone wood choices?

cacheek

• Members

Here's a vid comparing two Guthrie Govan Suhrs. He switches through their pickup configurations while playing the same thing.

First is the sig - Mahogany body & neck, maple top & pau ferro board. Poly finish

After is the Antique Modern - Basswood body, baked maple neck. Nitro finish

I think other than the wood and finish all other specs on these two guitars are the same. It's clear in the samples that they sound different with the same recording gear and settings set the same

[video=youtube;-kmltWhu1eE]

• Members

Sure they do. I am just pointing out that more times than one, two exactly same guitars (for example two govans suhr with the same wood species) sound different, perhaps too suspiciously different.

Also the amount of "different" varies to a person...for some it is obvious and critical for others it is less than significant and both are perfectly acceptable.

Look at how much Vai is fixated with Evo whereas he could replace it with any number of similar jems.

• Members

I personally believe that it isn't species specific and that no one has ever given anything other than hazy tonewords or abjectives. I want khz, harmonics the whole package. I would like to know why two guitars made 100% from the same stuff (now including the wood species) don't sound all that similar sometimes. If somebody mentions strat (alder maple) vs les paul I'd throw him a garbage can in the head and would tell him to look at the differences in pickups, scale length, mass etc before the wood species...

I have to disagree with you on that one....PRS did an interview where he's actually knocking on a piece of brazillian rosewood and it sound remarkably like a pipe being playes.

• Members

Yeah but it still doesn't crunch numbers on that one. And a pipe being played sound has nothing to do really when the whole guitar is finished, when the user will change from low output alnico II bridge pickup to high output high impedance ceramic or active or if he specs set neck instead of a bolt on. Then the "brazillian rosewood pipe being played sound with native girls topless doing the pipe (means blow job in my country's language also) are going to be the least significant link in the chain!!!

(And PRS will say any part science part magic whatever comes in my mind to defend my company's USP as would anybody in his place).

• Members

I've got a bunch of guitars and they all sound different based on the wood. My favorite "middle of the road" guitar is my Korina superstrat. Korina is just a super versatile tonewood. I did white korina and it's fat and warm like Mahogany but with a bit more bite and it's physically a bit lighter. None of my guitars sound better through a cranked tube amp.

Archived