NGD!

mamberg

• Members

Just picked up an old Charvel I saw on CL.

Was hoping it was an original Japan Import from the '80's - but at the price couldn't pass it up.

Got it home and started really checking it out and researching, and it is definitely a mutt guitar. Had the original Charvel non-pointy headstock logo, but a pointy headstock neck plate with no address - serial number puts the plate at around 90-91 I think.

When I got the neck off I was thrilled to see 6/16/83 JR, 0199 DC markings - which make it an original USA San Dimas neck.

Took the pick up out, and it says 'Jackson pickups - Made in USA" on the back sticker - so an 80's vintage pick up too.

Haven't benn able to ID the trem yet, and the body has no marking in the neck pocket or cavities (which are painted) - so not really expecting much out of that - but with just neck and pickups it was definitely worth what I paid for it ( well less than $200!!)

Just got done setting it up, tweaked the truss rod, lowered the action back down, and it sounds great! It's got a mini-pot for the volume, which doesn't seem right, but it really sound good the way it is, so for now it can stay. Obligatory pic and family shot:

(sorry for the crappy pics - phone camera never does too well)

Charvel.jpg

Group.jpg

• Members

The board looks like it's been tinted - not sure if it's just filthy from years of being in a 'smoke-free studio", or if someone did tint it.

It is definitely lighter where it bolts into the neck pocket.

And it's birdseye maple too!

• Members

Been posting pics at usacharvels.com and got a little more info.

The body IS a model 1- probably an '87. The trem is the original v-trem.

Not sure if the tuners are original - correct Gotoh's, but nobody seems to have ever seen any with 'Made in Japan' on the back.

Probably will rewire it someday with a push-push pot for series-parallel switching but it sounds and plays great now.

Its a keeper.

Archived