What kind of sounds will blow a bass amp?

tablesalt

• Members

I'm thinking of a little 'bass' keyboard - seems like it should be okay.

But then what about 'percussion-y' sounds? Not an electric drum kit, but abrupt bass sounds and electronic 'clicks' ala hi-hat?

I'm a little confused because I heard it's easy to blow guitar amp speakers with drum sounds, yet both guitarists and bassists frequently make use of percussive playing styles. Surely a big pick scrape or a big bass slap isn't much different from an electronic drum sound?

[Edit: for clarity, I mean using keyboard and 'not quite drum' sounds thru an 80W Kustom bass combo.]

• Members

if you are talking speakers then pushing any speaker, be it guitar or bass or whatever beyond it's limits could cause it to fail . ex. very low wattage speakers being hit with way to much power for too long could cause the voice coils to fry , or pushing the cone beyond it's excursion limits with lowend will cause cone crease or tear cones up or even destroy the coil . It depends on the rig , if you pumped a SVT through a 1x18 those drum sounds would probably peel paint and blow out the windows .

Archived