Non Gear Related but need DIY Help!

UMT

• Members

I'm hoping my fellow DIY wizards can help a brother out!

I've got a real nice pair of rimless, no line bifocals. The metal nose piece broke today right in the middle. Of course, the store is telling me 1) I can buy a new frame ($150) but they 'may' scratch the lenses putting the lenses in and I have to sign off on that or 2) buy a new pair of glasses which is $460 as they RIP YOUR FKING EYES OUT for no line bifocals...

Ok, I actually tried soldering the piece together and it held! But then I dropped them from about 2 ft and they broke so it will work, but the hold isn't very good.

Question: What about brazing? or what else might I use to fix this nose piece? Somebody was swearing by "JB Weld" the other day. Somebody was also talking about Epoxy Putty....

So, I'm open for ideas if anybody has any.........

• Members

do you know a welder. you might hurt the glass with the high heat of a weld.

As much as I love Gorilla Glue, this is not a Gorilla job... That's why I'm studying brazing right now. Lower heat. Will also rig heat sinks to draw heat away from the lenses.

• Members

brazing and soldering isn't really all that different. brazing works best when you've got an ultrasmall gap between the two metals for the solder to suck into - what shape is the wire bridge? is the wire "cross section" round? if so you can probably find some thin brass tube with about the same inner diameter as your glasses wire. then curve the tube around a piece of dowel to match the glasses, push the bridge wire ends in, and braze. then paint with some black enamel or similar

• Members

brazing and soldering isn't really all that different. brazing works best when you've got an ultrasmall gap between the two metals for the solder to suck into - what shape is the wire bridge? is the wire "cross section" round? if so you can probably find some thin brass tube with about the same inner diameter as your glasses wire. then curve the tube around a piece of dowel to match the glasses, push the bridge wire ends in, and braze. then paint with some black enamel or similar

Great suggestion. Been reading up on the brazing part and that doesn't look like much of a problem. Just went and bought a couple rods. I like this idea tho too... Yep, 'round' wire. Thanks!

• Members

thats an excellent idea!

• Members

Ok, what type of torch do you need to braze with? Do you need a cutting torch type of setup? The reason I ask is because I was using a 'micro torch' that uses butane and supposedly will heat to 2000 degrees but I couldn't get the braze rod to melt at all. And I tried several different types and thicknesses and they all were wrapped with flux.

So, tell me about what kind of torch I need for this stuff.

Thanks!

• Members

Are you using tube for extra strength? you can probably use regular solder. But you'll probably need to use flux too, so while you're heating with the torch (before applying the solder) it doesn't all oxidize.

The 'break' was right at the brace for the nose piece. I did look at some brass tubing but I know solder just isn't going to hold it. In order to do the brass tube, I'ld have to cut a slot for the nose piece and would only get maybe about 1/8" (if that) into the tube so I need to braze at least.

• Members

I know everyone is just DYING to know how this turned out! A friend was going to help me try and solder the piece that broke off with silver based solder as my 'micro torch' just won't braze. So, I put all the pieces in a nice glasses case and headed to his place. Somewhere along the line, I lost the piece that broke off. Seriously! Couldn't believe it. Went home disgusted.

About an hour later, my buddy calls. His wife had Lasik surgery and she had rimless no line bifocals! She gave me hers. I went to the local Shopko Optical and they were kind enough to give me about six (couple spares) of the little plastic pieces that hold the whole dam thing together. Took her nose piece off and put it on my lenses and WALLAH!

Now here's what's really interesting. Before my buddy called with the good news, I decided to do a google for 'rimless no line bifocals' and discovered that I can buy a good pair, quality no line bifocals (I wouldn't go completely rimless again now that I know how the dam things are held together.) in a wire half frame, DELIVERED for $66.00.!... Of course, you have to know your prescription but I keep mine stored on my computer.

I swear, I am never, ever again going to a optical store other than to get a new prescription! I realize store has a few employees, has to lease space, etc. but a 4-500 % markup is just ridiculous. On top of that, nobody wanted to help, including the Sam's Club store where I originally spent $460.00 3 years ago! You can buy new frames. (150.00 +! Are you nuts?) You can buy new lenses to put in your old glasses! (137.00 was the best price I got) Can you order me a new nosepiece? "Oh no. We don't sell parts!"

Online is the wave of the future when it comes to selling stuff!

Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions!

• Members

Good to hear you're on top of it! I'd be a bit nervous even if it brazed ok that it would be a weak point, and at some point you'd knock them and they'd fall and get scratched.

Thanks, Tonto. I had found another buddy who definately could braze the parts together but that was my worry too. I didn't know if I could trust them.

Hey, this is a new 'era' we are in with all the 'change' and stuff going on! It's no longer 'cheap bstard' but 'fiscally responsible!' Ha.

Archived