Spent the afternoon messing with a Diezel VH4, thoughts.

Valtiel

• Members

I talked to Loop about this one the other week and he gave me some pointers that were pretty helpful. I played through my Egnater 4x12 with Greenbacks and a generic V30 4x12.

Channel 1 - Big high headroom clean channel. Pretty straight forward, starts to break up with the gain dimed. A good platform for effects i'd imagine, not too colorful

Channel 2 - My favorite so far, dime the gain and boost the mids/treble and flick the bright switch and you get instant aggressive med/high gain crunch that is fun to boost into heavier territory. Ridiculous articulation and attack without being fizzy. Adam Jones' sound makes a lot more sense now.

Channel 3 - Picks up where channel 2 left off, slightly darker and less crispy. Tons of usable territory here as well if you need more saturation/warmth than what channel 2 offers. Otherwise its the similar aggressive attack-y high gain.

Channel 4 - More or less useless to me, way too much gain and the attack seems to be pulled back in favor of fizz. Wouldn't touch this channel TBH.

Overall I think the amp is kickass, I wish there where a cheaper version that only had Channels 2 and 3, i'd be all over that. Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

Einstein would probably do the trick.

Hopefully I can check one out sometime. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by nakedzen

View Post

I liked ch. 2 of the VH4. thumb.gif

The rest I just found uninspiring and bland. idn_smilie.gif Too dark and compressed I guess.

I can definitely see how someone could feel that way about the other channels. Channel 3 rides the line, you need to keep the gain under control and the treble higher up. This is amp is very easy to brighten up without getting fizzy which is very difficult to do with many other high gain amps but with the wrong approach it can get a little murky and undefined. I was riding the presence at about 2 o'clock and a similar spot for both the mids and treble for channel 2 and three.

I will say though that its not a particularly pleasing feeling amp, its very tight and stiff, not forgiving at all really.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Valtiel

View Post

I will say though that its not a particularly pleasing feeling amp, its very tight and stiff, not forgiving at all really.

The Cobra I had at the time is eactly the same. I don't know, the VH4 just didn't feel as exciting to play though as the Cobra. ymmv, 2c etc. etc.

Archived