Advice on isolating voice from a recording

satannica

• Members

So, I have a voicemail which I recorded off my phone, but the end quality isn't great. Basically, any advice on improving the voice quality of it? There's some background noises but I just want to make the voices a little more distinct.

I have the standard fare of cubase, wavelab, etc. I'm having a plug around, seeing what I can do, but not getting really where I want to get.

• Members

try notching out problematic frequencies, if they are narrow enough.

maybe reverse compression:idk:

I would say exactly the opposite. Boost the main frequency of the voice you are trying to hear while lowering everything else, then compress it. Make sure compression comes AFTER boosting the voice and lowering everything else or you'll just compress the noise into prominence.

• Members

I would say exactly the opposite. Boost the main frequency of the voice you are trying to hear while lowering everything else, then compress it. Make sure compression comes AFTER boosting the voice and lowering everything else or you'll just compress the noise into prominence.

:freak:

your first suggestion is equivalent (or nearly so) to mine...

but why would you want to compress anything?

• Members

It's a badly recorded voicemail (in a nutshell, the person didn't know it had gone through to voicemail).

It's part of a police matter but could clear up a LOT of things, though I don't want to go into any more detail.

I've tried droppiong everything but the 350-1500 range and trying to filter out, but it's still not exactly where I want it. It's more trying to boost some frequencies and take out others, but it's very variable across the audio stream as the phone is being moved about in the outside air.

I'm sure the police/insurance will do more than I can, I just want to clear it up as much as possible in case they don't bother.

Archived