Sliding Rack Shelf for Shallow Effects Cases...

NyteOwl

• Members

I don't know why no one makes these yet, but here's how I made one for my SKB effects case. First the required parts:

ss.1.jpg

A standard 10" deep 1-space rack shelf and a piece of 3/16" plywood cut to 10-3/16" by 17-3/16". You can leave the plywood as is or stain one side the color of your choice.

You'll also need a pair of 10" drawer slides...

ss.2.jpg

ss.3.jpg

...and some 3m double sided tape:

ss.4.jpg

Get drawer slides that have a detente to keep them in place when closed. If you can't find 10" slides, email me; I've got some extras. You can get the tape at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. Doesn't matter where you get it but it's important that you use this particular product and not that white foam stuff with the white and green plaid protective layer. This tape is a gray rubbery product with a red protective layer, and is way better than the other stuff.

Affix 1-1/2" to 2" strips of tape in the center of both sides of the drawer slides at both ends, as indicated in this picture.

taping.jpg

You can put a short piece in the center of each slide if you want, but it's not really necessary. Peel off the red protective layer and with the wide side of the slide facing downward, place the slides on both sides of the rack shelf. Then peel the red protective layer off the top of the drawer slide, carefully place the plywood on top and you're good to go.

ss.done.jpg

• Members
Nicely done.

There are some sliding drawers/shelves available from the usual IT supply places. I get some from rackmountnet.com:

Your link goes to a page showing a 1U Sliding Shelf that is 19.75" deep. There are a variety of shelves like this readily available from a number of manufacturers but, and absolutely no offense intended here, a 19.75" deep shelf ain't gonna work real well in an effects case that's only 10.5" deep, ya' know?

• Members

True enough. You'd either have to mod those of find one that's not as deep. Keyboard drawers might also work.

Modding a standard sliding shelf is out of the question because it involves shortening, and thus ruining, the sliders. That renders them inoperable and turns a perfectly good sliding rack shelf into a piece of junk.

Keyboard drawer depths range from 14.6" to 21.6" which, as I pointed out previously "...ain't gonna work real well in an effects case that's only 10-1/2" deep..." and the cheapest keyboard drawer I could find was $129+shipping and 17.3" deep.

Helpful suggestions are always welcome, but I respectfully suggest you do a little research before offering alternatives that obviously will not work. After all, the title of my thread is "Sliding Rack Shelf for Shallow Effects Cases," and the operative word there is shallow.

• Members

This drawer is specifically for shallow rack drawers, its 10" deep and front mounts.

Only downside is theres no 1U version, only starts at 2U

There are two other downsides...

1. Since it's a drawer and not a shelf, it will not serve the intended purpose; and,

2. At $99.99 plus shipping, it costs over four times what my DIY shelf costs.

Archived