Looking at some Dimarzio pickups and need some insight...

colejustesen

• Members

I picked up a Yamaha Pacifica 512 not too long ago and I think that I want to change out the pickups...

My 912 has some custom Dimarzio pickups that sound really nice, and so I think I want to stick with them for my next options... My problem is know what pairs with what. The setup of my guitar is H/S/S and I am have a hard time figuring out what goes with what...

I like the stock humbucker as it has this low mid punch that sounds great with my amp. I really wouldn't replace it, but I think I might have messed it up. I switched out the magnet for some different variations and now it is very prone to feedback. The original magnet was definitely bound by the potting wax, so I had to dislodge it to switch out the magnets... Anyway, I don't know how to remedy it [also I haven't put the stock magnet back in - which was twice as thick as the replacement magnet (I folded up a business card to fill in the gap below, which I think is allowing vibrations idn_smilie.gif)].

According to Dimarzio the stock pickups in my 912 are very similar to the PAF Pro and the HS-2 stacked single coils. I like this setup, but was wanting to retain that low mid punch sound from the humbucker. The Dimarzio website recommends the HS-2 pickups with either a PAF Pro, Fred, Air Classic or a Humbucker from Hell. Of those, I was thinking the Fred might be worth looking at. However, I don't know if that will give me enough push as the stock pickup...

If I didn't do the Fred/HS-2/HS-2 setup, I was thinking a Super Distortion might be worth a try.

So to get to the point, what stacked single coils would work best with the Super Distortion for an alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard for modern hard rock/alternative metal with a Marshall JCM900 MkIII amp?

TL;DR - What Dimarzio pickups work the best for modern hard rock in an H/S/S format?

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members

I like the Tone Zone and D-Activator for the bridge. The TZ is very warm and packed with harmonic goodness. The D-Activator is hot, but balanced... not too much bass, mids, or treble. Kinda reminds me of a cross between a Duncan Custom and Distortion. I didn't care for the Super 3... it was too bassy and the mids sounded congested, although I tried it in a Les Paul so it could work in a brighter guitar.

• Members

For the bridge, also give the Norton a look.. it's a combo of the Tone Zone and the Fred.. it has one Fred coil, and one TZ coil.. Fred has great treble and harmonics but can be a bit thin.. TZ has high output, huge low end but lacks treble and can be muddy in some guitars.. enter the Norton.. it's output is in between these two.

Sounds like you could be happy with just a PAF Pro though.. PAF Pro and Fred are similar.. Norton and Fred are similar.. they are all in the same family.. like brothers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IbanezJon View Post
For the bridge, also give the Norton a look.. it's a combo of the Tone Zone and the Fred.. it has one Fred coil, and one TZ coil.. Fred has great treble and harmonics but can be a bit thin.. TZ has high output, huge low end but lacks treble and can be muddy in some guitars.. enter the Norton.. it's output is in between these two.

Sounds like you could be happy with just a PAF Pro though.. PAF Pro and Fred are similar.. Norton and Fred are similar.. they are all in the same family.. like brothers.
I had no idea that's how they designed a Norton! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
I am currently trying a PAF Pro in my SG and I am liking it a lot, it has a very warm and clear tone. I tried the Norton ae while ago and hated it, the PAF Pro is a much better pickup IMHO.
The PAF Pro is a good one for sure... I kind of want a bit different tone than my 912, so I wasn't looking at the PAF Pro [but it isn't out of the question]. I was also debating a set of Wilde pickups, but the Dimarzio pickups in my 912 sound so damn good. Any suggestions on the stacked single coils?

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HELSTRUME View Post
Man, what all pickups do you have now?
Well I have six electrics now so I will give you the rundown...

Rogue Super Strat - EMG 85/SA/SA
Agile TC-1200 - Wilde L290TL/L280TN
Fender MIJ Contemporary Strat - Wilde L500XL/L500R
Yamaha Pacifica 912 - Stock Dimarzio Custom humbucker and stacked single coils [supposed to be close to a PAF Pro/HS-2/HS-2]
Yamaha Pacifica 512 - right now it is stock H/S/S
Yamaha RGX-620Z - some cheap humbuckers from an ebay dealer Magic Dragon Online - these actually sound really damn good!

As far as what I have just lying around, not being used... I have a Tonerider Generator neck, a Rockfield SWV neck, some Yamaha pickups, and the stock pickups from the MIJ Fender Strat...

I would love to try some besides the Dimarzio stuff mentioned above, like a Rio Grande BBQ and a Suhr Aldrich... One of these I might give them a whirl...

Quote Originally Posted by esizer View Post
I came here to say AT-1, Andy Timmons toanz!
Can you give me the rundown on what this guy is like? I love Andy's tone, but that doesn't mean that I will like his pickup...

Cole

• Members

For info on Dimarzio's I know it's a pain in the butt signing up for new forums, but Dimarzio has a forum and the guys on there know there {censored}.. especially when it comes to Dimarzio's. AT-1, Norton or PAF Pro.. they all could work IMO..

I love signing up for new forums... I actually looked for a forum link on Dimarzio's website, but didn't see one... Now that I know, I will just Google it! Thanks for the information :thu:

Cole

Archived