26.5" Scale guitars - some questions

Jesse G

• Members

Guys who have owned or had some time with 26.5" scale guitars, especially 7 strings, is there a noticeable improvement with clarity on low notes?

And is it noticeably harder to do big stretches? My hands aren't very big and I was wondering if going from 25.5" scale to 26.5" would give me any trouble. There are some 7 strings I'm interested in that have a 26.5 scale but I haven't had a chance to play them yet.

• Members

One my 7s has a 27" and my 8 has a 26.5" neck Physically I really don't notice the lower fret difference as compared to my other guitars, 6 & 7 string, with 25.5/24.75 necks. Where I notice the 26.5/27 is from 15th fret up, my precision is better. I don't feel like I'm fretting multiple frets the way I do on the 25.5/24.75 necks.

The actual only time I notice that I'm on the 27" is if I'm doing 7 string sweeps and fretting 2 notes on the low B, but even then it is only a subtle slide up the neck.

Derek

• Members

I own 2 baritone 27' scales right now, but i did own the 26.5 c7 hellraiser.

I definitely enjoyed the longer scale on that guitar, i felt like the lower notes were crisper and the strumming down-tuned chords rang out clearer than my other 25.5 guitars.

I didn't find it anymore difficult to play, i have average sized hands.

• Members

I have one 26.5" 6-string (Ibanez RGD) tuned to Drop B with a set of 9's with a .52 for the low icon_lol.gif

It's a bit too slinky feeling that way though, I think I'll go up to 10's.

But to answer your question, it is noticeably more difficult for me to shred and do big stretch riffs on that guitar compared to my 25.5/25/24.75 scale guitars and my hands aren't exactly tiny. It does sound WAY better to me than a 25.5" 6-string in drop B though. YMMV

In the past I owned a 28.6" scale 8-string and that was ridiculously uncomfortable to play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
I have one 26.5" 6-string (Ibanez RGD) tuned to Drop B with a set of 9's with a .52 for the low icon_lol.gif

It's a bit too slinky feeling that way though, I think I'll go up to 10's.

But to answer your question, it is noticeably more difficult for me to shred and do big stretch riffs on that guitar compared to my 25.5/25/24.75 scale guitars and my hands aren't exactly tiny.
Damn. I was looking at the RGD 7 string for drop A or drop Ab but if it's noticeably harder to do big stretch riffs than maybe I'll just stick to my 25.5 scale RG 7 string. Wish I could find a RGD 7 in a store so I could see for myself

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
My Gutierrez is a 26 3/16" scale. It sounds tight as hell and feels awesome. Just do it.
Hell yes it does. I want that guitar if you sell it. I love that thing.

Also, my RGD2127Z Prestige is 26.5, and so was my Loomis, and my Garza. I love 26.5. Super comfy.

Archived