DIY Mic Preamp--Have you had good luck with one?

Primal Yell

• Members

I've built two of the preamps from FiveFish and a couple of his power supply kits for various projects. You basically need a soldering iron and patience. The pre-amp kit is killer and it's a steal at the price he's charging. Its an incredibly clean pre-amp and what you put in you will get out exactly with an incredibly low noise floor. This is assuming you don't go for the model with the input/output transformers which are there to add color. I haven't built one of those so I can't speak to how the transformers change the sound.

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you have basic soldering skills. You don't need a signal generator or scope necessarily, but the former is handy if you are trying to add a meter so you can calibrate it easily. If you don't plan to add a meter then you don't really need any special equipment, although a typical multimeter is handy for troubleshooting in case something doesn't work.

• Members

Scott, appreciate your Feedback!

Aware of any High Pass Filters/High frequency rolloff/Cutoff options that would work as an add on ?

Seems peculiar they adapt readily to the lunchbox. Are they designed to mimick other lunchbox pres or do they have their own type of sonic signature? Difficult to put sound signature into words, but how is it treating the high end/mids/and low end? Sounds thick and full to me despite being solid state--which surprised me some. Have some people gone as far as saying that it sounds like another Pre already on the market?

naturally curious how the colored pre would go with guitar cabinets, or a keyboard cabinet mic.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent here, but, have you found a mic combo(s) that shines for your voice? Any reservations about putting a high end mic with it? Any reservations as far the quality level of the components in the kit?

Your meter idea is a good one--would like to follow up on that....

I'm a little confused--which model did you choose, and which one of the two is the colored version and which one is the more neutral of the two? Hey, sorry for "wearing it out" with all the questions...

Best Regards in your studio

Greg

Archived