What time period of US history would you like to have lived in?

Snappy Hat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post
Funny because it's so true. I work with several Russians, and one of them is a Vladimir. We got a couple Boris's too. They were brainwashed as children to love the CCCP (USSR) but grew up hating their lifestyle at the same time. They come to America and never go back, but they never shake off that engrained superiority complex. I've discussed how funny this is with several of them. When they're being real and down to earth, they get how it's pretty funny their contradiction-dichotomy.
There was a small group of Russian students who went to my high school, that were new to the U.S. They were tight-knit, quiet, and always drove nice cars. They did not tolerate ANY sort of teasing, and let you know it.

I remember in one class, a student was saying something about russia in a light-hearted manner, and a Russian girl who had clearly recently come to the states, stood up and said "if you ever say anything else about Russia again, I'll kill you." It was very strange and unlike anything I had seen before.

I saw one of the guys at the gym last year (about 12 years later) and he was muscular beyond belief.

Strange group of people they were.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
There was a small group of Russian students who went to my high school, that were new to the U.S. They were tight-knit, quiet, and always drove nice cars. They did not tolerate ANY sort of teasing, and let you know it.

I remember in one class, a student was saying something about russia in a light-hearted manner, and a Russian girl who had clearly recently come to the states, stood up and said "if you ever say anything else about Russia again, I'll kill you." It was very strange and unlike anything I had seen before.

I saw one of the guys at the gym last year (about 12 years later) and he was muscular beyond belief.

Strange group of people they were.
Los Angeles Russians are a lot more Americanized.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked View Post
THIS

Its pretty cool to sit around most of the day not doing work, instead of shovelling {censored} 12 hours a day from age 6-50 when you die of a currently curable illness.
icon_lol.gif exactly
i think it speaks to how unsatisfied with their current state/status people are instead of realizing our "basics" were fkn luxury items that most of us peons couldn't afford (except for OD, naturally) even "back in that time" we're harkening back to. i wouldn't trade what i have now for any other time. no Top Gear, no Fat Kitteh, and buttsekks was illegal in some places? :nothx:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
icon_lol.gif exactly
i think it speaks to how unsatisfied with their current state/status people are instead of realizing our "basics" were fkn luxury items that most of us peons couldn't afford (except for OD, naturally) even "back in that time" we're harkening back to. i wouldn't trade what i have now for any other time. no Top Gear, no Fat Kitteh, and buttsekks was illegal in some places? :nothx:
There's an argument to be made here though. A huge number of people are dissatisfied because they just have too much {censored}ing free time on their hands and don't have a CLUE what to do with it.

As someone who's actually shovelled {censored} for a living, dedicated two years of my life to it, with sixteen hour days for huge chunks of those years, let me tell ya - I wouldn't hate going back to that if I could find a way to make the kind of bank I make now doing it. There's something to be said for manual labor jobs. Much more satisfying than this digital janitor mess I find myself in today, where 75% of what I do is tossed within two years, the other 25% never used at all.

Not that I'm unhappy here and now, just saying I kinda miss actual WORK sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail View Post
I'd a been a great king. Better yet, a shiek ... my harem would have nothing less than the fugliest sag-uddered cows from across all of Persia !!
Fixed.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto View Post
There's an argument to be made here though. A huge number of people are dissatisfied because they just have too much {censored}ing free time on their hands and don't have a CLUE what to do with it.
What kind of argument is that? They can go shovel {censored} in their free time. They don't want to becuase it sucks ass.

• Members
What kind of argument is that? They can go shovel {censored} in their free time. They don't want to becuase it sucks ass.
It's an argument. I didn't say it was an intelligent argument.

It's still a truthy-truth that I'd gladly do manual labor if I could make enough coin doing it to do the things I enjoy doing in my free time. Unfortunately, I haven't found a job that allows me to bust ass all day AND make money.

• Members

As someone who's actually shovelled {censored} for a living, dedicated two years of my life to it, with sixteen hour days for huge chunks of those years, let me tell ya - I wouldn't hate going back to that if I could find a way to make the kind of bank I make now doing it. There's something to be said for manual labor jobs. Much more satisfying than this digital janitor mess I find myself in today, where 75% of what I do is tossed within two years, the other 25% never used at all.

Not that I'm unhappy here and now, just saying I kinda miss actual WORK sometimes.

Fixed.
eh, i guess maybe i can see that BUT in these kinda scenarios i always compare what i have now being on par with what i'd have then, which isn't a king, czar, sheik, uber-rich and in charge, etc.. i'd just be a bro and that would've sucked just being a bro in like 950AD, is all i meant icon_lol.gif
dying of a common cold at 17 or something icon_lol.gif

• Members
eh, i guess maybe i can see that BUT in these kinda scenarios i always compare what i have now being on par with what i'd have then, which isn't a king, czar, sheik, uber-rich and in charge, etc.. i'd just be a bro and that would've sucked just being a bro in like 950AD, is all i meant icon_lol.gif
You don't want to a peasant living in squalor only to be drawn and quartered if you offend an official?

But dude it was such a romantic time period

• Members
Honestly? I don't know that it'd be that terrible to be dead by this age. Getting old sucks. I'd have probably been killed for perving in my teens back then. love.gif

• Members
You don't want to a peasant living in squalor only to be drawn and quartered if you offend an official?

But dude it was such a romantic time period
LOL eggs-fukkin-zactly icon_lol.gif
i don't get the "mystique" around how things used to be at all. it was {censored} for just about everyone. hell, even people living in castles didn't have running water or central heat, etc.. fukk dat.

• Members
Honestly? I don't know that it'd be that terrible to be dead by this age. Getting old sucks. I'd have probably been killed for perving in my teens back then. love.gif
i'm only 31 cry.gif
once i hit 50 i'll start getting miserable icon_lol.gif

• Members
i'm only 31 cry.gif
once i hit 50 i'll start getting miserable icon_lol.gif
Most people that know me in the real world told me I was old when I was in my early teens. I worked my ASS off as a kid on the farm. And had all the fun body problems to prove it.

If I don't exercise 5+ times a week I lock up like a mofo. Sore, crack when I move, can barely walk lock up. Been that way since I was in my early twenties. Pain in the ass, but I still liked that work better than sitting at a desk. It WAS the exercise. I didn't need to spend two hours or more a day trying to make up for sitting for 10+.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt View Post
age late teens / twenties in the late 60's / early 70's. Life was easier. Could still get the music gear I like new. Could buy the cars I like for next to nothing. Easy to get a good job.
In all seriousness, this isn't a bad idea. Pre-internet exists, so you didn't have half the world telling you everything's already been done so it's pointless to try would be cool too.

Man, I'm in a weird mood today. selfcop.gif.

• Members
Most people that know me in the real world told me I was old when I was in my early teens. I worked my ASS off as a kid on the farm. And had all the fun body problems to prove it.

If I don't exercise 5+ times a week I lock up like a mofo. Sore, crack when I move, can barely walk lock up. Been that way since I was in my early twenties. Pain in the ass, but I still liked that work better than sitting at a desk. It WAS the exercise. I didn't need to spend two hours or more a day trying to make up for sitting for 10+.
My Papa (mom's dad) was a lifetime farmer and died way too young at 73 and I remember how broken down he was for being his age so I feel ya dude, honestly. My mom was into roping and barrel racing and all that growing up and has the severe back, hip, leg and ankle issues to prove it at just 56 from being thrown off into fences, barrels, stepped on by horses/cows, etc.. It def ages you quickly.

• Members

I know too much history to choose any time other than right now. Violence is at an all time low. Hunger is at an all time low. Disease is more manageable than ever before. Fewer countries lock you up for thinking for yourself than ever before. Artistic output is at an all time high (even if popular music peaked in 1974). Travel, or really leisure of any kind, is possible for more than just the upper crust. Knowledge of the inner workings of the universe is greater than ever, with new mind blowing discoveries happening all the time. I can't think of any time more exciting, or more enjoyable, to live in than now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by la0tsu

View Post

I know too much history to choose any time other than right now. Violence is at an all time low. Hunger is at an all time low. Disease is more manageable than ever before. Fewer countries lock you up for thinking for yourself than ever before. Artistic output is at an all time high (even if popular music peaked in 1974). Travel, or really leisure of any kind, is possible for more than just the upper crust. Knowledge of the inner workings of the universe is greater than ever, with new mind blowing discoveries happening all the time. I can't think of any time more exciting, or more enjoyable, to live in than now.

I pretty much feel the same way. Interestingly, many of our luxuries are what make our lives more difficult. if we could learn to live as minimalists, life would be much easier.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro

View Post

My Papa (mom's dad) was a lifetime farmer and died way too young at 73 and I remember how broken down he was for being his age so I feel ya dude, honestly. My mom was into roping and barrel racing and all that growing up and has the severe back, hip, leg and ankle issues to prove it at just 56 from being thrown off into fences, barrels, stepped on by horses/cows, etc.. It def ages you quickly.

In a way I kind of lucked out. I got out when it only had me a little broken down. I loved the work, but the injury rate is astronomical. And even outside of injuries, constant back problems are the norm for older farmers and people that get out of farming. Your body gets used to having all that muscle development, and if you give it up you gotta work all the time to keep your muscle mass up or you turn into a brick of fat. I've been there a couple times when I got sick of having to CONSTANTLY work out even eating like a damn rabbit. Back on the horse right at the moment, so to speak. Missed the alarm this morning and missed my workout. I'm already feeling like {censored} from it.

Archived