Back in the market for a new amp for my apartment. Axe-fx?

Steveanders86

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gt_jumper

View Post

+1

+2

I love mine! I bought it used for way below the new price and it is completely worth the money at full price. I use it direct and with a power amp (Matrix GT 800). I will record some clips with the cab mic'ed up. Personally, I love it for home play.

I made this clip recording direct with Ola's Recto patch. I like the tones I have gotten even better since but it is that easy to get great recording results with minimal effort.

http://tonefinder.com/files/97135472...%20Nothing.mp3

• Members

I have a HD500 and an Axe-FX Standard. I have them hooked up through the computer/monitors and through poweramps and guitar cabs.

I would say if you can afford the Axe-FX, I would. Based on pure sound quality, it does sound and feel better. I love the HD500, and I think it is a great unit for the price, but for pure sound quality, it is hard to beat the Axe-FX. I would love an Axe-FX II, but $$$.... The old Standard is very affordable used and better than anything else except the more expensive Fractal units.

• Members

Pod HD Desktop

RedWirez impulses (the Mesa Recto 4x12 and Soldano 4x12 are my favorites for metal)

Turn off the Pod's cab modeling (this is crucial - the cabs are what make the POD sound 'meh'), and run it with the impulses in your DAW.

You can also turn off all of its amp stuff and record a DI signal, which I'd recommend doing with LePou's free VST amp sims.

I use a combination of those and I love it.

Archived