Loop, thefyn, other songwriting dudes: songwriting advice

Ovid9

• Members

Lots of the guys offered great advice here! thumb.gif

If the song's verses use the same main riff and chords, I would just simplify them to make the lyrics easier for your prospective listeners to listen to.

What would Brolando do? Anything within the context of the song.

Sometimes if it calls for it, I use random noises: open harmonics, microphonic feedback, wah drenched nonsense, etc etc, all within the context of the song.

• Members

Record EVERYTHING. You never know when you'll write one riff, and then be jamming a few days later and come up with something that complements it.

If I get stuck, I lean on my bandmates. I'll record a quick & dirty version of what I've got and send it around and see what they think or can come up with.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NaptownChris View Post
Record EVERYTHING. You never know when you'll write one riff, and then be jamming a few days later and come up with something that complements it.

this too, even if you are just noodling around. sometimes you listen back and there are hidden gems you didnt even know you played

• Members

Use some of the same note patterns you do in your main riffs, or just come up with something that "flows" with the rest of the instruments. If your having trouble filling a gap with guitar, it might not be a bad idea to have one of the other instruments step in with a fill or something.

Edit: Drums also have a significant impact on how the guitar parts are percieved. This took me a little while to figure out.

Archived