Variable speed motor for Leslie?

petejt

• Members

What motor would be suitable for rotating a Leslie treble horn?

I need something that can rotate from 30rpm to 80rpm (at least 40rpm-60rpm), and securely attach to the horn.

Also how can I support the horn so it spins above the speaker driver?

The most I've seen are little hobby racing car motors (very light, not strong enough?), 2000rpm fan motors for computers, and washing machine motors which are too big.

What can I do?

• Members

Pete, what about checking with some of the surplus electronics sites for motors? I've found all sorts of fun tinkering stuff at those places. I don't know how the actual speaker wiring is done (rotating contact plate, I reckon) but for motors, I'd think you could find one at one of those places (surplus electronics stores/sites).

• Members

Pete, what about checking with some of the surplus electronics sites for motors? I've found all sorts of fun tinkering stuff at those places. I don't know how the actual speaker wiring is done (rotating contact plate, I reckon) but for motors, I'd think you could find one at one of those places (surplus electronics stores/sites).

Do you have any suggestions of surplus electronics sites?

I've been to both Dick Smith & Jaycar but they're a bit generic, and mostly just have small fan motors that spin too fast (2000-4000rpm) or too small that don't have the torque.

I also checked out a hobby shop but that turned up dry.

Thanks for your help. Anymore suggestions are welcome.

• Members

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to use a sewing machine motor, but some of those older machines have seriously powerful motors in them.

Pete: look at the sticky at the top in reference to resources. Lots of good surplus electronics places listed. Some of them get new stock in almost daily and you never know what they'll come up with.

• Members

hmmm....maybe a ceiling fan motor?

got me!

I pulled one apart to see if I could use it, but it'd be too clunky unfortunately.

It's a good suggestion though. I was interested in using it because it had a switch for 5 different speeds, but the switch used an inductor and something else that I was a bit wary of using.

• Members

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to use a sewing machine motor, but some of those older machines have seriously powerful motors in them.

Pete: look at the sticky at the top in reference to resources. Lots of good surplus electronics places listed. Some of them get new stock in almost daily and you never know what they'll come up with.

Cool, thanks. :)

• Members

Thanks for that.

It'd be good if I can get one.

I now have a washing machine motor at my disposal, but haven't properly checked it out yet.

every time I go to the local salvation army thrift store they have 4-5 old sewing machines in there for DIRT cheap....Singers and etc.....

• Members

every time I go to the local salvation army thrift store they have 4-5 old sewing machines in there for DIRT cheap....Singers and etc.....

At any time, in my city, there's a half-dozen organs with rotating speakers for sale in the goodwills and such. They usually run about 50 bucks or so. Couldn't you just cannibalize one?

• Members

Damn, not around here in Greedoland. If it's worth anything they put it up on eBay or mark it up to what it would go for on eBay. People used to be able to make money by buying stuff cheap at Goodwill and selling on eBay but now it's just junk {censored}. I'd love to get ahold of a few old Singer machines and any stray foot pedals. The speed control pedals are great for use with Dremel and other power tools.

Archived