2 new mixes - please give me some feedback

Santuzzo

• Members

Lars, you know I've given you a bunch of advice before, so here's the most important bit of advice that I've learned in all my recording, mixing and production experiments: know when to stop messing around with the same 5 songs!

You're in danger of burning yourself out tweaking tiny things here and there without getting to writing new material.

• Members

Lars, you know I've given you a bunch of advice before, so here's the most important bit of advice that I've learned in all my recording, mixing and production experiments: know when to stop messing around with the same 5 songs!

You're in danger of burning yourself out tweaking tiny things here and there without getting to writing new material.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

Thanks, man!

Yes, I get what you are saying.

I do have more songs, and I have been writing, too, but I want to get 5 songs ready to put on an EP, hence I keep tweaking those 5 and after that I will put more time into other material.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

Thanks, man!

Yes, I get what you are saying.

I do have more songs, and I have been writing, too, but I want to get 5 songs ready to put on an EP, hence I keep tweaking those 5 and after that I will put more time into other material.

• Members

Let me ask you guys this:

Do you think the drums are a weak point in my mixes?

I have been using Addictive Drums for quite a long time now and I personally thought I got quite good results, but maybe I'm off here. idn_smilie.gif

I also have SD2.0 but I found it to be too complicated for me to use, so that's why I preferred AD.

Do you guys think I should try to use SD2.0 instead of AD? Would I get better sounding drums that way?

• Members

I have been using Addictive Drums for quite a long time now and I personally thought I got quite good results, but maybe I'm off here. idn_smilie.gif

I also have SD2.0 but I found it to be too complicated for me to use, so that's why I preferred AD.

Do you guys think I should try to use SD2.0 instead of AD? Would I get better sounding drums that way?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo

View Post

I'm only a little bit into the first one, but I think the drums are a bit of a weak point. Whether you could do it sticking with AD, or if you're better with S2.0 or maybe blending the two or whatever, I dunno. Have never used AD, so I don't really know the extent of its capabilities.

Personally, for this stuff I would probably tend towards a bit more of a natural drum sound. The kick is very clicky-metal, the snare sounds quite squashed, everything sounds quite disconnected. Listening to it, it doesn't feel like a drum kit to me. It feels more like a few guys with various bits of a drum kit in opposing corners of a room all playing together in time. I still think the kick is a bit too clicky in the high end, making it stick right out in the mix rather than just giving it a pointy presence. The kick also seems to be lacking in low end again, which I think was something you actually sorted in one of your other mix revisions and it sounded much better, so I'm not sure why you've reverted there. redface.gif

Aside from the lack of kick low end, there doesn't appear to be much going on with the bass guitar. Dunno if it needs more low end or if just a volume boost would do it, coz I can't really hear what it's doing. I'd like to hear more of it in the mix, but whether it needs some EQ tweaking or not I dunno.

Started listening to the 2nd one now and I'm hearing more in this one of the "disconnected mix" thing that others have mentioned. The rhythm guitars are sitting out of the mix a fair bit. Are you panning them hard 100% L/R? That's what it sounds like. You might try pulling it back to 80 L/R or so. You'll still get a nice stereo spread, but it's not quite so disconnected to listen to. Only time I really pan guitars 100 is either for a specific effect/sound I want, or if I'm quad tracking in which case I might do one pair 100 L/R and the other a bit closer in. Of course you also don't have to stick to just 80 L/R or whatever for the whole thing. For example in the section starting around 1:10, you might have them panned wide (maybe even 100, given the rather jarring dissonant riffing), but then the little in between bit at about 1:25, pull the guitars in a lot closer to kinda accentuate the effect of the two guitar lines together (spacing harmony lines so far apart can mean you don't really hear them together as much, more as two separate lines... although maybe that's what you want), and then when it goes back to the next riff bash 'em out wide again. Or whatever.

Also, there's some clipping going on in the drums in that fill at the start. I'm guessing it happens elsewhere too, but my brain's rather fried at the moment and that part stood out. idn_smilie.gif () The toms also sound a bit out of place with the rest of the kit. The snare is quite compressed, the kick is quite metaaaaaal clicky, the cymbals are fairly bright (not a problem, although personally I'd probably want a bit more body in them too)... and then the toms are just kinda... dull and boomy. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

I'm only a little bit into the first one, but I think the drums are a bit of a weak point. Whether you could do it sticking with AD, or if you're better with S2.0 or maybe blending the two or whatever, I dunno. Have never used AD, so I don't really know the extent of its capabilities.

Personally, for this stuff I would probably tend towards a bit more of a natural drum sound. The kick is very clicky-metal, the snare sounds quite squashed, everything sounds quite disconnected. Listening to it, it doesn't feel like a drum kit to me. It feels more like a few guys with various bits of a drum kit in opposing corners of a room all playing together in time. I still think the kick is a bit too clicky in the high end, making it stick right out in the mix rather than just giving it a pointy presence. The kick also seems to be lacking in low end again, which I think was something you actually sorted in one of your other mix revisions and it sounded much better, so I'm not sure why you've reverted there. redface.gif

Aside from the lack of kick low end, there doesn't appear to be much going on with the bass guitar. Dunno if it needs more low end or if just a volume boost would do it, coz I can't really hear what it's doing. I'd like to hear more of it in the mix, but whether it needs some EQ tweaking or not I dunno.

Started listening to the 2nd one now and I'm hearing more in this one of the "disconnected mix" thing that others have mentioned. The rhythm guitars are sitting out of the mix a fair bit. Are you panning them hard 100% L/R? That's what it sounds like. You might try pulling it back to 80 L/R or so. You'll still get a nice stereo spread, but it's not quite so disconnected to listen to. Only time I really pan guitars 100 is either for a specific effect/sound I want, or if I'm quad tracking in which case I might do one pair 100 L/R and the other a bit closer in. Of course you also don't have to stick to just 80 L/R or whatever for the whole thing. For example in the section starting around 1:10, you might have them panned wide (maybe even 100, given the rather jarring dissonant riffing), but then the little in between bit at about 1:25, pull the guitars in a lot closer to kinda accentuate the effect of the two guitar lines together (spacing harmony lines so far apart can mean you don't really hear them together as much, more as two separate lines... although maybe that's what you want), and then when it goes back to the next riff bash 'em out wide again. Or whatever.

Also, there's some clipping going on in the drums in that fill at the start. I'm guessing it happens elsewhere too, but my brain's rather fried at the moment and that part stood out. idn_smilie.gif () The toms also sound a bit out of place with the rest of the kit. The snare is quite compressed, the kick is quite metaaaaaal clicky, the cymbals are fairly bright (not a problem, although personally I'd probably want a bit more body in them too)... and then the toms are just kinda... dull and boomy. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Thanks a lot, Nick!

Yes, I panned the guitars 100L/100R.

On one hand I think if I don't manage to get a great drum sound with AD, it's my fault, since I have heard really great clips with AD on them (eg the audio demos for the Metal AdPak on their website all sound great to me).

But then again, the EQ in AD for instance had 3 bands whereas the EQ in SD2.0 had 5 bands and you can even load several instances of it into one channel, which just goes to show that SD2 offers more flexibility. idn_smilie.gif

And yes, I remember having gotten better results in a previous mix/clip, like you said, but I guess I went overboard tweaking and kinda ruined it in the process. LOL

I think I will try remixing my songs using SD2.0 with Metal Foundry and see if I get any better results.

Either way, back to the drawing board smile.gif

Do you think any of the guitars need to be re-tracked?

• Members

Thanks a lot, Nick!

On one hand I think if I don't manage to get a great drum sound with AD, it's my fault, since I have heard really great clips with AD on them (eg the audio demos for the Metal AdPak on their website all sound great to me).

But then again, the EQ in AD for instance had 3 bands whereas the EQ in SD2.0 had 5 bands and you can even load several instances of it into one channel, which just goes to show that SD2 offers more flexibility. idn_smilie.gif

And yes, I remember having gotten better results in a previous mix/clip, like you said, but I guess I went overboard tweaking and kinda ruined it in the process. LOL

I think I will try remixing my songs using SD2.0 with Metal Foundry and see if I get any better results.

• Members

View Post

Thanks a lot, Nick!

Nothing stood out as needing a retrack. Maybe there's bits here and there that could be tighter, but at the same time, when everything's sitting better in the mix you don't pick up so much on these things coz you're just listening to the music. When you're getting distracted by certain instruments sticking right out of the mix, or the mix sounding disjointed or whatever, you're not absorbed in the music as such and your brain just picks at anything it finds. Well, mine does anyway. idn_smilie.gif

As for the drums... yeah, Superior is great, but if you're not really comfortable with it you might be better off sticking with AD and trying to tweak that bit more out of it. Is there an AD forum or something where you can maybe get some help or presets to look at from people who've posted up some nifty clips? Then again, maybe it would be better to just use Superior. Whatever gets you the results. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

Thanks a lot, Nick!

Nothing stood out as needing a retrack. Maybe there's bits here and there that could be tighter, but at the same time, when everything's sitting better in the mix you don't pick up so much on these things coz you're just listening to the music. When you're getting distracted by certain instruments sticking right out of the mix, or the mix sounding disjointed or whatever, you're not absorbed in the music as such and your brain just picks at anything it finds. Well, mine does anyway. idn_smilie.gif

As for the drums... yeah, Superior is great, but if you're not really comfortable with it you might be better off sticking with AD and trying to tweak that bit more out of it. Is there an AD forum or something where you can maybe get some help or presets to look at from people who've posted up some nifty clips? Then again, maybe it would be better to just use Superior. Whatever gets you the results. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeadNight Warrior

View Post

Thanks again, dude!

Yeah, there is a forum, but it seems that there are not too many metal folks using AD.

I do have some cool presets that sound awesome, but when I place them in my stuff they don't sound that hot anymore....

I think I will give SD2.0 a spin to see what I get.

View Post

Also, {censored} this piece of {censored} forum. redface.gif

Yeah, you can say that again. Yesterday the forum slowness was driving me insane. Seems to be better now, though.

• Members

View Post

Thanks again, dude!

Yeah, there is a forum, but it seems that there are not too many metal folks using AD.

I do have some cool presets that sound awesome, but when I place them in my stuff they don't sound that hot anymore....

I think I will give SD2.0 a spin to see what I get.

View Post

Also, {censored} this piece of {censored} forum. redface.gif

Yeah, you can say that again. Yesterday the forum slowness was driving me insane. Seems to be better now, though.

• Members

Right now I'm trying to fix some rhythmic inaccuracies in the rhythm guitars .... tracking take after take, but it's still not getting much tighter (if any at all) ..... this is frustrating the **bleep** out of me....

Also, what happened on this forum ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Archived