5150 preamp tube question... and bad dougstubes experience....

Cougher

• Members

Please help me find the correct placement of these tubes....

These are the tubes I bought from dougstubes, and I copied this right from his website (the placements seem incorrect)

• (V1) - 1 x Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG High Gain (+$13.00)
  • (V2) - 1 x Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG High Gain (+$13.00)
  • (V3) - 1 x SOVTEK 12AX7WC (+$13.00)
  • (V4) - 1 x SOVTEK 12AX7WC (+$13.00)
  • (V5) - 1 x SOVTEK 12AX7 LPS (+$14.00)

I found a diagram of what the 5150 preamp tubes looks like, here on these forums:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Official-5150-6505-Tube-Depot/td-p/16890235

So correct me if I'm wrong, because the V4 slot is the phase inverter (which he says is V5). Where do the 2 sovteks, and the 2 Ruby's ACTUALLY go is my question. This is my first time retubing an amp if you couldn't tell...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I also wanted to tell you about my dougstubes experience...

I ordered some tubes from Dougstubes, which was my first and last time.... his metal option gave me 2 additional tubes (an extra $36.... which would fit the combo 5150, not the head that I have), and this is my first time retubing an amp... Naturally I wanted to get a refund of the 2 tubes that I couldn't use. When I asked him, he said I should've known my amp better, and that he will take them back for store credit or a 15% restocking fee. I told him that it was not my fault, because he sold me an additional 2 tubes based on his website saying "for 5150 heads and combos".  After spending $200 on an order of tubes which are marked up 1000% how someone can have the audacity to give me attitude on returning two things he shouldn't have sold me in the first place is beyond me..... Good luck Doug... I purchased from him based on all of the glowing feedback here on the forums, and I'm sure people have had good luck with him but I just wanted to give you all my two cents. He's a greedy p**ck.

• Members

So he's listing them from right to left. Looking at the back of the amp, From left to right- v4: Phase Inverter v3: Effects Loop (cathode follower) v5: Gain - 3rd gain stage Shared v2: Gain - 2nd gain stage Shared v1: Gain - 1st gain stage Lead 

SOVTEK 12AX7 LPS-Phase inverter (V4) Rubys could go v1 & v2 and the 2 SOVTEK 12AX7WC go v3 & v5

• Members

I was not happy with the set I bought several years ago...and havent been back since. But I do know a lot of people have been satisfied. 

If you aren't going to buy again...okay...but you should still give him another call- give him a chance to make you happy with this order. He did answere my phone call and took care of a problem as best as he could. At least try?

Archived