Hughes & Kettner Trilogy & JJ Tubes

redcard

• Members

Hello Everyone,

I want to know if any H&K Trilogy owners have experienced with the JJ Tubes on this Trilogy and/or if you have experienced with any other different tubes on this amp as well. I know that form the factory, these amps (even though they are made in Germany) they come with Chinese tubes (H&K couldn't even tell me the brand, I guess Mickey Mouse or ACME :freak:) Surprisingly they sound OK.

I just want to get some input as far as what tubes would sound best for this amp, because I'm getting ready to re-tube the amp.

Thanks in advance,

• Members

Branded tubes is a misnomer. Chineese 9th gen are nice tubes. They all come from the same factory if their mesa, ruby, GT, or whatever.

For refrence, H&K uses ruby tubes in their high end amps (like the triamp), which are basically the same thing, only with an extra layer of QC.

JJ tubes will be fine. I personally don't care for JJ's other then KT77s, but that's personal prefrence.

My advice is to call Doug at Doug's tubes and see what he recommends. He may have some experience with other customers who have used that amp.

-W

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I know it's been a long time, let me tell you what I learned about this change of tubes. Originally this H&K Trilogy Amp came with Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) Tubes, which it gave it a great fender like clean tone and very articulate overdriven tone, after the swap to JJ's I re-biased it and guess what?

The amps character was completely destroyed :confused:, the clean tone went from crystal clear fender "blackface" tone (Mind you this amp has no reverb but it used to sound like it did with the TAD tubes) to terrible moody, lifeless clean tone.. as far as the over driven tone.. I wasn't impressed at all.. in conclusion JJ tubes completely destroyed the amp's tone.. I would never buy JJ tubes ever again.. they are completely overrated.

If any one has one of these amps and wants to re-tube, do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy JJ's you should replace them with TAD tubes.. TAD tubes are the nicest sounding tubes I have ever heard, they are a little more expensive but worth every penny. From now on I know what tubes to buy.. TAD all the way!!!! I hope this helps someone:thu:

• Members

I have rarely received a good result by putting all the same brand tubes in an amp.

Two things you did wrong here,

1. Bought all of the same brand tubes.

2. Blamed the tubes and company for your lack of experience.

You really need to know tubes to replace them. But don't worry, most aren't very experienced with tubes.

• Members

I have rarely received a good result by putting all the same brand tubes in an amp.

Two things you did wrong here,

1. Bought all of the same brand tubes.

2. Blamed the tubes and company for your lack of experience.

You really need to know tubes to replace them. But don't worry, most aren't very experienced with tubes.

Are you confident he replaced ALL his tubes and not just his power tubes?

And for what it's worth, pretty much all H&K and other brand t00b amps come with TADs all round and I don't think you could call their toanes that uninspiringly {censored}ty when stock.

• Members

And for what it's worth, pretty much all H&K and other brand t00b amps come with TADs all round and I don't think you could call their toanes that uninspiringly shitty when stock.

Looks like by your post your really about as sharp as a bowling ball.

He needs tube experience. You need to get out of the computer lab and back to class. ;)

• Members

JJ tubes completely destroyed the feel and chartacter of my DSL but I found it was only the Pres that were the probelm. I left the KT77s in and got a mix of different pres from Dougs tubes and the amp sounds amazing now. Tungsol V1, Shunguang 9th Gen V2-3, Penta in PI.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Common' people.. are serious? I've had plenty on tube amps in my life time to know tubes.. In any case this job was professionally done and the bottom line here is that JJ Tubes are waaaaaayyyyyy over rated, I'm only sharing my opinion so that some one with a little of an open mind can benefit from it. Want good quality & great sounding tubes buy TAD Tubes.. There! I've said it from experience.. just take it for what it is! It's proven fact!

• Members

And for what it's worth, pretty much all H&K and other brand t00b amps come with TADs all round and I don't think you could call their toanes that uninspiringly {censored}ty when stock.

Yes, I replaced all the tubes in the amp and biased it 100% to spec.

I'm very disappointed with the sound coming from these KT-77's JJ Tubes..

The amp is completely lifeless..

• Members

There! I've said it from experience.. just take it for what it is! It's proven fact!

There's just no evidence of that redcard.

Nothing you have said was in any way technical. Very little detail in your first post and any subsuquent post.

Most who knock a brand lack experience because they wouldn't count a certain brand out because they may need that brand down the line. Even the GT haters will need to look at GT every once in a while.

It makes me laugh when someone blasts a brand after minimal experience. They tend to narrow their choices and generally start to sound like everyone else.

If you go back 5-6 years here, everyone had JJ's in their signature. They all followed each other like sheep. Today, the tube brand forum choice here is the Tung Sol.

It is best to keep your avenues open and not to count things out because you may just miss something better in the future.

Good luck to you though.

Wixed

• Members

There's just no evidence of that redcard.

Most who knock a brand lack experience because they wouldn't count a certain brand out because they may need that brand down the line. Even the GT haters will need to look at GT every once in a while.

Dude that statement made no sense whatsoever. :facepalm:

JJs suck, at least the pres for sure! :poke:

If less people would believe the hype, they wouldn't get suckered into buying them once like I did. Why would we need to depend on JJ in the future exactly?

• Members

Dude that statement made no sense whatsoever.
:facepalm:

JJs suck, at least the pres for sure! :poke:

If less people would believe the hype, they wouldn't get suckered into buying them once like I did. Why would we need to depend on JJ in the future exactly?

Another example of lack of experience.

It doesn't work in my amp so it must suck. Great, nothing like closing you avenues.

• Members

Okay people, let's just get along here, after all we are all after the same thing, "perfect tone" correct? Well I guess my idea of perfect tone is not the same as zeusecho's , wixedmords' , Neilrocks25's , hecticone's .. etc.. say there is a gray area and maybe JJ's don't suck as much.. let's say they are good tubes..

Maybe the issue I had with the change of tubes was not the fact that it was JJ's but in fact I belive it might have to do with the fact that I swapped my EL34's with KT77's.. I guess my Hughes & Kettner Trilogy does not like KT77's very much.. whatever it is that makes KT77's different than EL34's (Some geeks in this forum might want elaborate with the 30 paragraphs of scientifically proven facts, equations & calculations on the specific detailed differences between KT77's and EL34's.. To me & my ear is very simple... on my H&K Trilogy KT77's Sound like crap & EL34's Sound Phenomenal) Being said that.. bottom line.. If you have a H & K Trilogy (Or Tri-Amp for that matter..) DO NOT.. I Repeat DO NOT Try switching over to KT77's.. Stay with EL34's.. you will be glad you did..

• Members

Branded tubes is a misnomer. Chineese 9th gen are nice tubes. They all come from the same factory if their mesa, ruby, GT, or whatever.

For refrence, H&K uses ruby tubes in their high end amps (like the triamp), which are basically the same thing, only with an extra layer of QC.

JJ tubes will be fine. I personally don't care for JJ's other then KT77s, but that's personal prefrence.

My advice is to call Doug at Doug's tubes and see what he recommends. He may have some experience with other customers who have used that amp.

-W

My Triamp came with TAD tubes actually. Same with my friend's Trilogy and Switchblade.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I tried to put JJs in my trilogy and it hasnt worked out, the lead and ultra channels are all fuzzy and sound terrible - something is definitely amiss. Granted i dont know anything about tubes and this is the first time I've changed them but is it possible if i just change the pre-amp tubes and leave the JJ EL-34s in there? or should i get a whole new set of TADs? I'm just trying to save some $$ cheers.

Archived