good amp for this washburn?

thebrownkey

• Members

actually i dont reallly need another amp but i need your help.

i dont like to cross post but im not getting much help in guitars which is wierd, a few years ago usually with a "identify this model" thread the replies would keep coming and ive given it a few days.

anyhow - i picked it up for $145 used at a local pawnshop.

it is in great shape, other than 2-3 nicks that dont penetrate :) the wood.

wilkinson trem, locking tuners, 24 jumbos, maple neck/rosewood board.

i called washburn and gave them the serial # and he said it was a 94 model but not sure which, so he emailed me the catalog from 94 and said if i identify it he could help me with anything else i needed. but i could not find it. i found models that were close in terms of hardware but small things were different.

anyway, its a washburn mercury II series, im trying to identify which mercury II series it is. it truely plays itself, and the washburn 611, 612, and 623 pups dont sound bad at all

DSCF1174.jpg

serial # 4010429

thanks for any help. its not really life or death as i changed my mind about selling it after getting it home. i fell in love with it so fast man. ive been looking for a fast player lately and really dig it. but i am still curious so i can research it a little further. again thanks

• Members

It appears to be the import version of the USA built Grover Jackson designed MG-120.I have a '94 MG-120 [w/ Duncan C-5/SSL-5/SSL-5] with a beautiful sunburst quilted maple top that simply kicks ass.I would say that at only $145.00 that you got a hell of a deal.

Ed

• Members

What sorta stuff are you looking to play on it ?

anything fast and metal!

i grew up on metal and thats all i used to play, then when i was about 18 i got heavily into blues (slide) and lots of other styles which was cool. it really helped my playing to get into lots of other styles, so for the last 10 years ive been playing just about everything under the sun BUT metal.

my main strat was pretty good at heavy tones, but with the 9 1/2 radius and medium frets it just was not as smooth as some of my first few guitars at the arpp and speedy typ playing.

so anyway lately ive been looking for something like this. i know speeds not everything, but i like to practice. and im sure you know having the right guitar for the job can give you much more. with my strats it didnt tak long for hand cramps and such.

as far as what to play it will probably be a little of everything, only when i use this one i can concentrate more on my technique which is something i have not paid much attention to these last 10 years. i did develop and always tried to learn new things but i just lost interest in the heavy stuff. but my love for it never died and its reared its head again :evil:

• Members

thanks for the replies

they made so many similar models that year and i wish i could find an online catalog of all makes and models that year

it's in the 1994 or probably in the 1995 catalog (as it was made in 94)

it's a '94 MG-700 (schaller tuners) or a '95 MG-701 Deluxe Plus (grover tuners)

both had a retail price around $730, alder body, flamed sycamore top, 623/611/612 pickups, wilkinson bridge

:thu:

• Members

it's in the 1994 or probably in the 1995 catalog (as it was made in 94)

it's a '94 MG-700 (schaller tuners) or a '95 MG-701 Deluxe Plus (grover tuners)

both had a retail price around $730, alder body, flamed sycamore top, 623/611/612 pickups, wilkinson bridge

:thu:

thanks man, i appreciate the help. lovin this guitar as well. i just cant get over how smooth a player it is

i dug some more, and it seems to be the 701. the 700 came with a pro floyd and gold hardware and grover locking tuners. mine on the other hand has the exact specs of the 701, which is wilkinson, washburn pups, etc.

thanks for helping

• 5 years later...

Archived