Installng casters in a 8U rack?

Dror520

• Members

I don't have a lot of experience with racks, but I have some with cabinets in general. It depends on the bottom of the rack. Some, you can use screw- or bolt-on casters, while others, if they have a good, solid wood bottom, can be drilled for inserts. The inserts used are like those usually used on computer desk chairs. I like the sturdiness of the bolt-on casters, especially the locking type, but I prefer the pop-in insert type because those can be removed with relative ease.

• Members

I don't have a lot of experience with racks, but I have some with cabinets in general. It depends on the bottom of the rack. Some, you can use screw- or bolt-on casters, while others, if they have a good, solid wood bottom, can be drilled for inserts. The inserts used are like those usually used on computer desk chairs. I like the sturdiness of the bolt-on casters, especially the locking type, but I prefer the pop-in insert type because those can be removed with relative ease.

What he said, but...

Unless it's a shock rack, an 8U rack probably does not have enough clearance between the rack bottom and the bottom rack space to use inserts. I think you'll have more luck with bolt-on casters, but be sure to use lock washers and the shortest bolts you can get away with.

• Members

that still shouldn't be an issue. most shock racks are capable of being disassembled.

or you can just drill up even into the inside rack and install a longer blot... although i would attempt a rack disassemble first.

more info on the brand name of the rack could help us assist you further.

Archived