Finish

Belva

• Members

I'll be starting a new project guitar soon. I have been following Loudogg's plycaster project & noticed the table top in the last pic of that thread. I'd like to come up with something like that for the finish. Any ideas? Doesn't have to be just like that but the blue/white random would be cool. Maybe shoot enamel over laquer before it has gassed?

• Members

I'll be starting a new project guitar soon. I have been following Loudogg's plycaster project & noticed the table top in the last pic of that thread. I'd like to come up with something like that for the finish. Any ideas? Doesn't have to be just like that but the blue/white random would be cool. Maybe shoot enamel over laquer before it has gassed?

Although I've never done it on a guitar, I've airbrushed literally hundreds of license plates with the same effect as the table top in Loudoggs thread. It's a very simple procedure.

Step 1. Spray your base color, and allow to dry completely. If more than one coat is required, spray as many as you need. Carefully color sand until smooth.

Step 2. Take a plastic bag and crumple it up into a wad. The type of bag is unimportant, it can even be something like Saran Wrap. The only requirements are that it is able to be wadded into a shape that has lots of nooks and crannies, and that it won't absorb the paint. You want the paint sitting on the surface.

Step 3. This is the tricky part, and can be done in either of two ways. The point is to spray your second color, either on to the wadded plastic or directly onto the surface of the guitar, and then dab it on (if sprayed onto the plastic) or off (if sprayed onto the guitar)of the guitar surface. Be careful that you press the plastic straight on and pull straight off. Any twisting or wiping/sliding motion will smear the pattern. Either method will work equally well, but may give different pattern effects. Alternatively, you can lay the plastic onto the second color, in a nearly flat manner, and then remove it. You don't want to lay it completely wrinkle-free. It's advisable that you test the different approaches on a test panel to see which effect you like the best. Also, the amount of secondary color used will alter the result, so do some testing to get a feel for where you're going before you dive in and are committed to a direction that you don't like.

Step 4. Allow to dry completely, and then color sand to level the surface. Depending upon the volume and type of paint used, there may be some areas that are quite thick as well as some that are very thin. Use caution that you don't go through to the base color or primer, or even *gasp* bare wood.

Step 5. After you have a smooth surface, prep and clear.

Step 6. Enjoy the admiration of your friends and family resulting from a truly unique and awesome finish.

Note: Other materials may be substituted for the plastic bag/wrap for different results. For example, cotton or poly batting may give a more "spider webby" look. There aren't really any right or wrong methods/materials here. Just experiment until you get something that you like. Also, I've always had good luck with using one light and one dark color, but it really doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter whether you base is the light or dark color. You can also use pearls or metallics over solid colors. Transparents over pearls or metallics. Even flat black over gloss black. Each combination gives a different effect ( and to a certain extent, so does each application), what matters is the end result. No two are ever alike, although experimentation will give you somewhat of an idea of what to expect.

And another note: Although I stated that I use airbrushes for this effect, it is just as easy/effective to use rattle cans.

• Members

Both cool ideas. I was thinking of spraying a white enamel base followed by blue laquer. But I don't know how it would work or if I'd run into durability issues.

A clear coat will take care of any durability issues. But I'm not too sure that enamel and lacquer coexist very well. I don't have any experience with lacquer. But you can use all enamels, and get a smooth, hard, durable finish.

• Members

I've made the mistake of laquer over enamel & the enamel bleeds thru. That's the idea. You can do enamel over laquer without ill effect. But, lonotes, your idea makes sense as it's alot more controllable. My father mentioned using a similiar technique on a bedroom wall years ago. He used paper towels, but that was a vertical surface (ya think?). Pickguard chioce is still up in the air. White? Anything else might be a bit too busy for an old man like me. I also have an xtra white p/g.

• Members

My father mentioned using a similiar technique on a bedroom wall years ago. He used paper towels, but that was a vertical surface (ya think?).

Paper towels will work too. Practically anything will work with this technique. It all just gives different textures and patterns. Experiment with it and remember, no matter what it looks like, you can always start over if you don't like the result. Have fun with it.

Archived