spraying bevels on my ltd V

higaintele

• Members

will this be your first finishing job?

scotch amd 3m make stripers tape, the flexible stuff used in car pinstriping etc. you can follow the top of the bevel much easier than laying normal tape and trimming with a knife.

If you are planning to put a light colour ontop of a dark one you will have to remove the original finish. This is because you will need a fair amount of coats to cover the original colour. The more coats you put on, the larger the ridge you'll get where the new colour meets the tape edge and the more clearcoat you'll have to put on to smooth out that rigde.

Cut it back to wood, prime with a light colour, a couple of coats of your base colour then clear coat once or twice. remove tape and clearcoat the whole guitar to even out the finish. Rebuff.

A fair bit of work, but that's how I would do it.

• Members

will this be your first finishing job?

scotch amd 3m make stripers tape, the flexible stuff used in car pinstriping etc. you can follow the top of the bevel much easier than laying normal tape and trimming with a knife.

If you are planning to put a light colour ontop of a dark one you will have to remove the original finish. This is because you will need a fair amount of coats to cover the original colour. The more coats you put on, the larger the ridge you'll get where the new colour meets the tape edge and the more clearcoat you'll have to put on to smooth out that rigde.

Cut it back to wood, prime with a light colour, a couple of coats of your base colour then clear coat once or twice. remove tape and clearcoat the whole guitar to even out the finish. Rebuff.

A fair bit of work, but that's how I would do it.

haha yeah... My first time doing a finish. Actually i sprayed it already. Upload pics when it dried up

• Members

To properly do it... you needed to strip it down completely, no pickups, pots, strings, bridge. id recommend redoing it. you need to start with primer, then I would paint the whole thing white, then trim out the white and paint it black. i have some good pics on my myspace on between stages of several guitars i have done. I think it could look really sweet, I'm digging your idea so far.

• Members

To properly do it... you needed to strip it down completely, no pickups, pots, strings, bridge. id recommend redoing it. you need to start with primer, then I would paint the whole thing white, then trim out the white and paint it black. i have some good pics on my myspace on between stages of several guitars i have done. I think it could look really sweet, I'm digging your idea so far.

it seems abit hard for me....

I try to perfect the white lines then i will post again. Hopefully it work... jeez

• Members

The next time you paint, other than some of the advice you already received, be sure to use a quality masking tape. Again, the blue stuff by 3M is the tits. Once you have your tape laid out where you want it, run the back side of a fingernail along the edges to ensure the tape is well adhered. That will avoid bleeds like you got down on the V point of the upper bout. Once you have the paint laid down to your satisfaction, carefully pull the masking up. Try to pull the tape straight along the same lines, and at about a 45-degree angle up from the body. That helps to avoid pulling up paint that has dried or partially dried. If you're *really* careful, you can go along fine edges with a hobby knife if you encounter any areas where the paint on the body is really stuck hard on the tape. Don't sweat any tape residue. Goo Gone is a great product for removing that kinda stuff. It's good stuff to have around the house anyway.

• Members

Don't sweat any tape residue. Goo Gone is a great product for removing that kinda stuff. It's good stuff to have around the house anyway.

I was always fearing tape residue. I guess Im not the only one learning from this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived